HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV63394
Name:5 Queen Street, Bideford


Late 18th century, three storey house, now associated with adjoining garage and partly used for storage. May retain medieval elements.


Grid Reference:SS 454 267
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/292
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375918

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII - 1750 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Implementation Programme 1999-2002, 10 (Un-published). SDV345902.

Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations, Photo (Un-published). SDV346164.

Visited 23rd March 1977 by Simon Timms and Pam Egeland. Proposed change of use for manufacturing of sails.
Visited 14th November 1979 by Simon Timms. Proposal for conversion to showroom extension, offices and flat. Internal inspection noted good fittings.

Weddell, P. J., 1993, Archaeological Assessment of a Development Site at Mill Street/Queen Street, Bideford, 3 and 6 (Report - Assessment). SDV18954.

Number 5 Queen Street - Grade II listed 18th century three storey house with stucco front. Building currently used for storage. It is intended to convert building to a restaurant.

The house is single phase construction through to be of 18th century date. It is three storeys with two full height bays, one cut away at ground floor level. The building is currently used for storage but many original internal details survive.

Torridge District Council, 2003, Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid, 23; Photos (Un-published). SDV345899.

Late 18th century, three storey house, now associated with adjoining garage. Entrance passage on left hand side with evidence of 18th century cornice and ceiling band.
Currently partly used for storage in association with adjoining garage. Mainly empty.

English Heritage, 2011, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346128.

House, now the front building of a car firm. Late 18th century. Rendered walls, solid at least in ground storey. Roof-covering not visible from street. Chimney at left end of ridge; another on right side-wall. Double-depth plan, with centre doorway leading to stair at rear; left ground-storey room reduced in width to allow for a carriage-entrance to left. 2-parallel ranges of workshops to rear, set at right-angles. 3 storeys; 3-window range, the outer 2 taking the form of full-height canted bays, except that the left-hand bay occupies only the second and third storeys. Centre double-doors, each of 6 ovolo-moulded panels, the outer panels narrower than those in the centre; flanking panelled pilasters, triangular pediment on carved consoles. Carriage-way has 20th century iron gates; stretch of early 19th century moulded cornice inside. Windows all have 6-paned sashes in moulded frames, except for the left-hand ground-storey window, which has 8-paned sashes in a concealed frame. Prominent boxed eaves-cornice. Left rear range altered in ground storey, but upper storey retains 19th century workshop windows.
Interior: access refused, but photographs in Bideford Community Archive show cornice with ceiling-band in entrance-passage; boxed-in stair, possibly 18th century.

Green, T. + Walls, S. + Wapshott, E., 2012, Land to the Rear of 28 Bridgeland Street & 5 Queen Street Bideford. Results of a Desk-Based Study & Historic Building Recording, 15, 36-40; Figs 10-11, 25-28 (Report - non-specific). SDV349405.

The 1842 town plan indicates a property occupied by Doidge, which probably relates to number 5 Queen Street. This was set back slightly from the street and had two bow structures (probably bay windows?) protruding. On the south side the buildings extended westwards to abut an outbuilding belonging to the Mariners Arms in Cooper Street. By the time of the First Edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1886) a building with a single bow is shown. This building must correspond to the present number 5 Queen Street with its single surviving bow (at ground level). The English Heritage Listing identifies this building as of late 18th century origin. If the two bows on the 1842 town map are correctly shown (and they are for several nearby properties), then it appears that the southern bow was cut off at ground floor level during the mid-19th century in order to make a through passage, as can be seen on the Ordnance Survey map and as is evident on the ground today.
According to Grant and Christie (2005), during the 19th century number 5 Queen Street housed the Queen Street House Academy, a private school. In the 1970s this building housed a sail-maker’s
workshop. It is at present used as a store connected with Heard’s Garage. Since the plan of 1717 indicates the presence of a building at this location in the early 18th century, and since the English
Heritage listing suggests a late medieval origin for its immediate neighbour, it seems very probable that number 5 Queen Street is located on the footprint of a late medieval building and may, in fact,
retain early features within its structure.
The map of 1886 shows outbuildings to the rear of the number 5 Queen Street on either side of a long yard, the larger one to the north appears to be open-sided at this time. The large garden area to the rear of 3 to 7 Cooper Street appears to be part of this property by this date.
5 Queen Street is a three storey double-fronted town house on the west side of Queen Street within the riverfront quarter of the town of Bideford. Queen Street lies on the probable late medieval quayside, becoming pushed back from the waterfront by the 17th and 18th century expansion to the east, through the reclaiming of land from the river Torridge. Number 5 is part of a terrace of houses that are documented on early 18th century maps and are purported to be of late medieval origin. Number.4 Queen Street adjoining number 5 to the south has a late medieval (circa 15th century) roof, possibly a first-floor chamber and the building is described as a house with a shop. To the north and adjoining the property is a large warehouse structure with an open front and steelframed roof, formerly number 6 Queen Street, a house recorded in the early to mid 18th century, now a garage.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV18954Report - Assessment: Weddell, P. J.. 1993. Archaeological Assessment of a Development Site at Mill Street/Queen Street, Bideford. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.37. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3 and 6.
SDV345899Un-published: Torridge District Council. 2003. Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 23; Photos.
SDV345902Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Implementation Programme 1999-2002. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10.
SDV346128List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound. Photo.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #97292 ]
SDV349405Report - non-specific: Green, T. + Walls, S. + Wapshott, E.. 2012. Land to the Rear of 28 Bridgeland Street & 5 Queen Street Bideford. Results of a Desk-Based Study & Historic Building Recording. Southwest Archaeology Report. 120211. A4 Stapled + Digital. 15, 36-40; Figs 10-11, 25-28.

Associated Monuments

MDV78855Part of: Queen Street, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5862 - Assessment and Building Recording

Date Last Edited:Mar 16 2020 7:58AM