HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV64449
Name:Flavel Street Congregational Chapel


Former Congregational Chapel built in 1841, on the site of an earlier meeting house opened by John Flavel in 1672. From 1896 used as a Sunday school, until irreparably damaged by an air raid in 1943.


Grid Reference:SX 877 514
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX85SE/361

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • NONCONFORMIST MEETING HOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1672 AD to 1841 AD (Between))
  • CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (XIX - 1841 AD to 1896 AD (Between))
  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (XIX to World War II - 1896 AD to 1943 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Congregational Chapel (Seats for 650)' shown. Map object based on this source.

Lidstone, W. E., 1982, Flavel Memorial United Reformed Church 1662-1980 (Pamphlet). SDV172558.

Stephenson, G., 2001, Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth (Report - Assessment). SDV319967.

In 1672 John Flavel opened a small meeting house on the corner of the later Flavel church hall. In 1729 the building was enlarged and known as the Independent Chapel. The building was enlarged again in 1784 and in 1841 the church was rebuilt when it became the largest building in Dartmouth being a half metre higher than St Saviours Church. In 1896 the old church was converted to a Sunday school, which was irreparably damaged by an air raid in 1943. The new church hall was completed in 1954.

Dean & Dyball Construction, 2003, Flavel Centre, Dartmouth: Geophysical Survey (Report - Geophysical Survey). SDV172556.

A geophysical survey undertaken in 2003 found that there was probably a structure beneath the site.

Goodwin, N., 2004, Flavel Centre (Report - non-specific). SDV156234.

On the east and south parts of the site the truncated remains of mortar bonded rubble walls were exposed. The construction of these walls had cut through reclamation material and probably represent the east and south walls of the 19th century Congregational Chapel.

Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV156234Report - non-specific: Goodwin, N.. 2004. Flavel Centre. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV172556Report - Geophysical Survey: Dean & Dyball Construction. 2003. Flavel Centre, Dartmouth: Geophysical Survey. Dean & Dyball Construction. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV172558Pamphlet: Lidstone, W. E.. 1982. Flavel Memorial United Reformed Church 1662-1980. Unknown.
SDV319967Report - Assessment: Stephenson, G.. 2001. Archaeological Desk Top Study: Flavel Centre, Dartmouth. Exeter Archaeology Report. Project 4995. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV23626Related to: Flavel Memorial Chapel, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV64450Related to: Tenement, Flavel Place (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV368 - Watching Brief at the Flavel Centre, Flavel Place (Ref: 4995)

Date Last Edited:Mar 6 2013 10:10AM