HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV64661
Name:Deep Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine


Deep Adit is one of three adits forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine


Grid Reference:SX 590 682
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/213/1
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ADIT (XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Not shown on 19th century map.

Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157276 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Deep Adit 930 metres west-south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Stone lined passage filled with running water is 1.2 metres high by 0.75 metres wide.

Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 10-12, Figures 2-3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Four adits are referred to at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. These are ‘Deacon’s’, ‘Deep’, ‘Two Brothers’ and ‘Shallow’. In a cash book of 1814-1815 ‘Old Men’s Adit and ‘North’ and ‘South’ adits are also mentioned although only the mouth of ‘Shallow’ and Deep Adits are depicted on the contemporary maps.
'Deep Adit' which is probably the same as 'Deacon's Adit' and was consistantly referred to from as early as 1814 and throughout the documented history of the mine. Curved feature shown on Figure 2.

GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Curved feature shown on aerial photograph.

English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.

English Heritage, 2013, Pastscape, 1300505 (Website). SDV352645.

Remains of nineteenth century mine shafts and adits at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine, which was mined from 1814 until 1856. An English Heritage archaeological field survey identified 25 shaftheads of which 16 have names recorded in documentary sources. There are three adits associated with these shafts. These are, Deep or Deacon's, Two Brothers and Shallow.
Deep Adit was driven between 1814 and 1815 and on a map of circa 1825 the position of a Deep Adit is marked to the north-west of Deep Adit Shaft. Both references correspond well for position with the adit found within the streamwork at the foot of the scarp (SX 5909 6826). Particularly convincing is the reference in 1814 to 'open cutting the tail of Deep Adit', as the remains certainly have a long steeply cut channel to conduct water away into the streamwork. The visible section of the adit has a robust granite lining including flat slabs forming the roof. The opening is approximately 2.2 metres high by 0.9 metres wide and may apparently be entered for some distance. The open cutting is up to 3.5 metres deep and extends for approximately 30 metres west, conducting water away into the streamwork.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

'Adit' shown on modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157276.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 10-12, Figures 2-3. [Mapped feature: #97656 ]
SDV352645Website: English Heritage. 2013. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300505.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV65994Related to: Mortarstone south of Deep Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Find Spot)
MDV66417Related to: Possible Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64730Related to: Shallow Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV12728Related to: Two Brothers Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine
  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area

Date Last Edited:Aug 1 2014 3:20PM