HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV64899
Name:Killerton Gardens, Broadclyst

Summary

An early 19th century woodland garden and pleasure ground associated with the Veitch family, with an early 20th century terrace designed by William Robinson adjacent to the house, set within wider parkland which developed from the late 17th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 970 003
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBroad Clyst
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBROADCLYST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/34/14
  • Old Registered Parks and Gardens Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LANDSCAPE PARK (XVIII to XXI - 1701 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

National Trust, 2000, Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 1. The Park and Garden, 22 (Report - Survey). SDV341106.

The walled garden to the north east of the farm buildings has brick walls on a stone foundation. The doorways have slightly curved brick arches and there is a central fountain. The late 18th century nursery garden adjoins the north side of the walled garden and has a brick built fountain. The wooden building set along the high wall of the nursery was the fruit store and was thatched until 1963. The stone building with brick quoins and jambs has a brick front and six first floor windows. The group of 19th century glasshouses is shown on the Ordnance Survey (1889) map of which half of one remains at SS97760015. A stone and slate garden building to the east of the walled garden at SS977800020 was erected before the 1842 Tithe Map.

English Heritage, 2003, Killerton (Register of Parks and Gardens in England). SDV341138.

English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South West, 89 (Report - non-specific). SDV355280.

Sections of two deer park pales and a deer park pond at Killerton Park. Generally unsatisfactory with major localised problems. Declining. Principal vulnerablity collapse.

Greener, C., 2013, Garden Women in Devon, 11 (Article in Serial). SDV358469.

Historic England, 2015, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV358087.

An early C19 woodland garden and pleasure ground associated with the Veitch family, with an early C20 terrace designed by William Robinson adjacent to the house, set within wider parkland which developed from the late C17.
Sir Thomas Acland (1723-85) employed John Veitch (1752-1839) in 1770 to lay out a landscape park which was intended to form the setting for a new mansion. Veitch's park enclosed c 500 acres (c 208ha) around Dolbury Hill, the summit of which, Killerton Clump, was planted with beech to emphasise its height. The main Exeter to Cullompton road to the south-east of the House was moved east as part of the park improvement. John Johnson was commissioned to remodel the existing house as a temporary residence in mid 1778. The stables c 260m east of the House were built by Johnson in 1779-80, and the walled garden 50m north east was constructed c 1782. The 1801 OS Drawing shows parkland flowing round the House, together with significant areas of woodland planting on Dolbury Hill, including Mount Pleasant (later Mount Peel). The octagonal folly in Cross Parks to the west of the House survived in 1801, and this area appears to have been developed as parkland by the early C19. Veitch developed pleasure grounds from 1808 to the west and north-east of the House for Sir Thomas Acland and his wife, Lydia Hoare, on land enclosed from the late C18 park. Features included gravel walks, shrubberies and a grove of tulip trees near the House. A further area, known as Lady Acland's Shrubbery, was planted to the north-east of the House, which became the site for the Chapel designed by C R Cockerell in 1840-1. Plans attributed to William Sawrey Gilpin (1762-1843) for a new drive from Killerton to Columbjohn (1820) were not implemented. An orangery was built north-west of the House in 1808, and the appearance of the pleasure grounds and park was recorded in a series of pencil sketches, Fragments of Killerton by John Gendall (1831-2). Under the direction of John Veitch's son, James, the pleasure grounds and areas of the park including the Plain, c 650m north-north-east of the House, were planted with trees and shrubs newly introduced to cultivation by Veitch's expanded nursery which had relocated from Budlake to Exeter in 1832. Plant-hunting was continued in the early C20 by Sir Francis Acland, who sponsored expeditions by F Kingdon-Ward. See website for full details.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341106Report - Survey: National Trust. 2000. Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 1. The Park and Garden. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 22.
SDV341138Register of Parks and Gardens in England: English Heritage. 2003. Killerton. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Unknown.
SDV355280Report - non-specific: English Heritage. 2011. Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South West. english Heritage. Digital. 89.
SDV358087National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2015. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV358469Article in Serial: Greener, C.. 2013. Garden Women in Devon. The Devon Gardens Trust Journal. 3. A4 Paperback + Digital. 11.

Associated Monuments

MDV60411Related to: Deer Park Pale at Killerton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 12 2021 8:01AM