HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV65036
Name:Longmeadow, Mattress and Broadley, Broadclyst Moor


Three cottages originally built as an open-hall house with a central hearth and a three room cross-passage plan. 15th century with a parlour wing added in 1624 and another unit added in the 18th century which is now Longmeadow Cottage. Cottages formerly called Mooredge Cottages.


Grid Reference:SX 983 984
Map Sheet:SX99NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBroad Clyst
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBROADCLYST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX99NE/38/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 88425

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Mooredge Cottages' marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map.

National Trust, 1983 - 1990, Killerton Estate Building Survey (Report - Survey). SDV344584.

Other details: NT Ref No. K1/H59.

National Trust, 2000, Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 3. The Cottages and Broadclyst (Report - Survey). SDV128325.

1 - 3 Mooredge Cottages at Broadclyst Moor was originally a late medieval open hall house with a central hearth and a three cell cross-passage plan. Many additions have been made through the centuries but important features remain including a large open fireplace, exposed beams, smoke-blackened roof and an original partition wall on the ground floor. The two storey house was built circa 1500 with a parlour wing of 1624. Another one room unit was added in the 18th century which is now Longmeadow Cottage. The construction is of rendered cob on a stone plinth under a gabled-end thatch roof with a half-hipped thatch roof over the wing. An external rear lateral stack with a brick shaft was inserted to heat the hall and the parlour wing has a rear stack with moulded cap. Other details: Site No 107266.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Longmeadow, Mattress and Broad Ley. 3 cottages, formerly a farmhouse. Circa 15th century with a parlour wing of 1624. Cob, stone plinth, rendered under thatched roof, gabled-end to right-hand end, the wing half-hipped. Originally a 3-room, cross-passage plan, the lower end to the right of the passage: to this has been added a further right-hand one-room unit (now Longmeadow), circa late 18th century or early 19th cventury; the parlour has been extended forward in a large wing containing a date stone, 'HAD 1624'. The Hall was originally of 2 bays, the lower-end of one, the roof over all three bays being smoke-blackened. Right-hand end 19th century brick stack; axial brick stack marks former lower-end end stack; external rear lateral stack with brick shaft inserted to heat hall; left-hand rear stack with moulded cap to parlour wing. 2 storeys throughout.
Front: scattered fenestration; four 2- and 3-light windows to upper floor, just breaking eaves line, 3 ground floor windows, 2 and 3-light: all timber panes with chamfered mullions, each light with 8 or 10 leaded panes, and with circa 1700-style latches and hinges. They appear mostly to have been recently renewed, although some may be 19th century. A stair turret with splayed sides and catslide thatch and a small 2-light windows stands to the left of the cross passage entrance. Another door to right-hand extension. A third door gives access to wing, which has a 2 or 3-light window above (frames and panes as above). 19th century cast iron pump adjacent wall in the angle.
Rear: 3 upper-floor 3-light windows, one under eyebrow eaves, four 2 and 3-light ground-floor windows and a doorway to right of external stack. Timber frames renewed as front.
Interior: hall, with 3 deeply chamfered beams, with pyramidal and anchor stops, that to the left forming a bressumer above the remains of a plank and muntin screen (5 bays), the muntins and bressumer chamfered, the parlour chamber jettied into Hall. Massive chamfered beam to lower end, another slighter beam to right-hand room. 3 deeply chamfered beams to parlour wing lower room, with large end fireplace.
Roof: 3 smoke-blackened trusses survive, that to the parlour end sooted to Hall side only; all are morticed and side-pegged at apex with collars (side-pegged and morticed), one collar (to the central principal to Hall) cambered. Rafters and diagonal ridge-piece.
Formerly Mooredge Cottages. Date listed: 20th May 1985.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV128325Report - Survey: National Trust. 2000. Killerton Estate Archaeological Survey. Part 3. The Cottages and Broadclyst. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #97737 ]
SDV344584Report - Survey: National Trust. 1983 - 1990. Killerton Estate Building Survey. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. A4 Unbound.

Associated Monuments

MDV65037Related to: FARMHOUSE in the Parish of Broad Clyst (Building)
MDV19216Related to: FARMSTEAD in the Parish of Broad Clyst (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:May 18 2010 11:57AM