HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV65755
Name:Chalice House, Torridge Hill, Bideford

Summary

House (formerly Wooder House) of mid 19th century date.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 452 261
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS42NE/319
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1848 AD to 1860 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Wooder House' marked.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 179 (Monograph). SDV325629.

'Woodah' on Torridge Hill has a five-bay stuccoed regency front with deep eaves right on the road.


Exeter Archaeology, 2001, Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Residential Development at New Road, Bideford, 6 (Report - Assessment). SDV13528.

Wooda (or Wooder) House, now called Chalice House, was built in 1848 by the accountant George Richards according to a plaque found in the garden. The detached house has a hipped slate roof and was used as a 'homeopathic and bach practitioners' in 2001.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Wooda. Detached house. Early or mid 19th century; possibly 1848. Solid rendered walls. Hipped slate roof. Rendered chimney symmetrically placed at each end of ridge. 2 storeys; 5-windows range, the 3 centre windows in a slight projection. Raised quoins at each end of front and flanking the projection. Round-arched doorways at left end of projection and at far right-hand end of front; moulded flat architraves with lion-head keystones; 4-panelled doors (that to left with knocker); fanlights with glazing-bars forming 2 Gothic arches. Windows have moulded architraves and 6-paned sashes, except that the left-hand second-storey window is blind. Deep, boxed eaves cornice. Attached to the right front corner of the house is a square rendered gate-pier, channelled to imitate rusticated ashlar; stepped, 3-tiered cap. Left side-wall has windows matching those at the front.
Interior not inspected. The building is not shown on the Bideford Tithe Map of 1841. The folly which formerly stood in its grounds is now a separate house and is listed as The Folly, New Road. A stone tablet dug up near the latter reads G. Richards. 1848.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV13528Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2001. Archaeological Assessment of a Proposed Residential Development at New Road, Bideford. Exeter Archaeology Report. 01.33. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 179.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #97953 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 25 2016 11:24AM