HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66410
Name:Flatrod System from Engine Wheel 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Flatrods (c) and (d) running east the north-east from Engine Wheel 2 forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 600 684
Map Sheet:SX66NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/25
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FLATROD GULLY (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source, 1300628 (National Monuments Record Database). SDV229471.

A water wheelpit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine which contained the waterwheel to power the below-ground pumping equipment to the mine. The power was transmitted via flat rods to shafts further uphill to the northeast. Flat rod channels and support stones survive in situ.The installation of this wheel is documented between 1847-8. The wheelpit was surveyed as part of an English Heritage archaeological field survey of the tin mine in 1999. It measures 19.2 metres by 6 metres and was constructed within an existing but disused deep adit shaft, which was enlarged to accommodate the wheel which measured 50 feet (15.34 metres) in diameter by 3 feet (0.92 metres) breast. Walling of the wheelpit survives on the northern side and in part on the eastern end. The eastern side has additional revetment which probably represents the route of the flatrod. The flat rod was mounted on the north side of the wheel and, after meeting the eastern end of the wheelpit, probably travelled underground for some distance before emerging into the 51 metre long linear trench to the east.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157181 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Flatrod system 280 metres south of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Flatrod gully formed by a trench measuring 3.5 metres wide by 1.5 metres deep at the western end. Bracken, moss and heather. Further upslope to the east it consists of pairs of edge set stones with 4.5 centimetre wide hollows worn into the upper surface.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 16-18, Fgures 2,7, Appendices 1,3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Flatrods (c) and (d) at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine transmitted power from Engine Wheel 2 to both Pryce Deacon's Shaft number 22 which is 961 metres from the wheel and Henry's Engine Shaft number 21 which is 854 metres from the wheel. It was later extended to serve an unamed Shaft number 25 located to the north of the sett increasing the range to 1192 metres.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

A flatrod system from engine wheel 2 consisting of linear channels and stone post alignments extended 714 metres east to an angle bob at Grid Reference SX60006830 which split the system into three sections. One branch went 466 metres northeast to a shaft at Grid Reference SX60216873, the other two went east to 'Pryce Deacon Shaft' at SX 60246834 and to 'Whitford/Henry's Engine Shaft' with a bob pit and whim at Grid Reference SX 60146832.


English Heritage, 2005, Survey Information (miscellaneous date) (Report - Survey). SDV345855.

Line of flatrod system shown on survey as a row of small circles


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300628 (Website). SDV355682.

A water wheelpit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine which contained the waterwheel to power the below-ground pumping equipment to the mine. The power was transmitted via flat rods to shafts further uphill to the northeast. Flat rod channels and support stones survive in situ. The installation of this wheel is documented between 1847-8. The wheelpit was surveyed as part of an English Heritage archaeological field survey of the tin mine in 1999. The eastern side has additional revetment which probably represents the route of the flatrod. The flat rod was mounted on the north side of the wheel and, after meeting the eastern end of the wheelpit, probably travelled underground for some distance before emerging into the 51 metre long linear trench to the east.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV229471National Monuments Record Database: 1300628.
SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157181.
SDV345855Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Survey Information (miscellaneous date). English Heritage. Digital. [Mapped feature: #98128 ]
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 16-18, Fgures 2,7, Appendices 1,3.
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300628.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3577Related to: Engine Wheelpit 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66472Related to: Mine Shaft 21 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66477Related to: Mine Shaft 22 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66465Related to: Mine Shaft 25 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine
  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area

Date Last Edited:Jul 7 2014 10:25AM