HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66416
Name:Reck House at Stamping Mill Number 1 at Eylesbarrow

Summary

Reck house at Stamping Mill number 1 forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 594 679
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/3/4
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • METAL WORKING SITE (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Small square building shown on 19th century map.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157190 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Reck house 830 metres south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Building 3.8 metres long by 2.4 metres wide denoted by a 0.7 metre high drystone revetment. This building appears to have been cut into an earlier bank. Door faces north-west.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 32-33, Figures 2,5-6 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

The 'reck' or 'rack' house was where fine residual tin trapped in the tailings underwent a further refining process. The apparatus consisted of single or paired boards onto which the tailings were placed and over which a gentle flow of water was introduced. The concentrate would build up and then it was removed either by tipping the board or washing it into a separate launder by a more powerful stream. There is evidence of a structure built into the return wall of the dressing floor at Stamping Mill Number 1 which was possibly a reck house.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 5 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

Possible 'reck' or 'rack' house for extracting residual tin from the tailings from the smelting process known as 'slimes' is built into the return wall of the dressing floor at Stamping Mill 1.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 5.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157190.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #98133 ]
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 32-33, Figures 2,5-6.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3578Part of: Stamping Mill Number 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66415Related to: Dressing Floor at Stamping Mill 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Aug 8 2014 10:38AM