HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66443
Name:Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Reservoir forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 596 679
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/34
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RESERVOIR (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Reservoir shown on 19th century Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Southern end of reservoir shown on 19th century map.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157220 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th may 2002. Reservoir 650 metres south-south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. A concave shaped dam with a central breach. The dam is 4 metres wide by 1 metre high and the central breach is 2.5 metres wide denoted by a large boulder on the right side. Grass and heather. This reservoir probably served the streamwork to the south.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 13, 36, Figure 2, 5-6, Appendix 3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

A very large linear reservoir which stored water above Engine Wheelpit 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine existed by 1825. The reservoir was 192 metres long with a maximum internal width of 13 metres and a depth of up to 1.3 metres. The massive dam on the downslope side is 10-12 metres thick with a granite revetment lining the inner face. Since the closure of the mine in 1851 a breach in the dam and rear bank has been cut where the trackway crosses. Originally this track crossed by means of a bridge shown on historic maps.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Part of the reservoir visible as earthwork banks on aerial photograph.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Part of the outline of the reservoir shown on modern mapping.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape (Website). SDV355682.

A linear reservoir which suppled water from the engine leat to Eylesbarrow Tin Mine, and was in use between 1814 and 1852. The earthwork was included in an English Heritage archaeological field survey of the tin mine in 1999. It is the largest of its type on Dartmoor, has a total length of 192 metres, a maximum width of 13 metres and a depth of up to 2 metres. On the downslope side is a dam up to 12 metres thick which has a granite revetment lining the inside. Since closure of the mine in 1851, the dam has been breached and the rear bank has been cut where a trackway crosses. At the north-west end of the leat is the water outlet, this originally opened directly onto the engine wheel leat embankment but was later diverted for water wheels further down the hill. The main water source was the engine leat but a second supply is depicted on a map of 1825 running into the reservoir, extending north to Copothorn Rushes and also described as the engine leat. An additional supply of water came from drain-off from the Shallow Adit.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157220.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital. [Mapped feature: #98154 ]
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 13, 36, Figure 2, 5-6, Appendix 3.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3512Related to: Engine Wheelpit 1 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66515Related to: Leat 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64713Related to: Leat Serving the Southern part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66491Related to: Possible Tramway at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66488Related to: Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66498Related to: Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66445Related to: Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66503Related to: Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV64730Related to: Shallow Adit at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66508Related to: Two Mounds on east side of Reservoir at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Jul 7 2014 10:31AM