HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66451
Name:Storehouse for Timber and Carpenters' Workshop at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Storehouse for timber and carpenters' workshop building (f) forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 598 681
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/41
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STOREHOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • WORKSHOP (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Building shown on 19th century Tithe Map.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157230 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Building 480 metres south-south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Four parallel lines of set stones leading off at right angles from the adjacent field boundary. Each is 2 metres long by about 0.5 metres wide and stand up to 0.5 metres high. The resulting three compartments are just over 1 metres wide. Grass. The purpose of this structure is unknown, but it may have had some sort of agricultural use.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 38, Figure 2 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

The 'timber house' building (f) at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine was probably the carpenters' shop and store. It was probably mainly built of timber as only a stone foundation survives. Running lengthwise along the building are traces of a stone-lined trench which is likely to have been a saw pit.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.


English Heritage, 2005, Survey Information (miscellaneous date) (Report - Survey). SDV345855.

Building shown on survey.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Outline of building shown as a stone spread on aerial photograph.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Rectangular building shown on modern mapping.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300619 (Website). SDV355682.

A range of ancillary buildings sited near the centre of Eylesbarrow Mine, which operated between 1814 and 1852. The buildings are depicted and named on a map of the site dated 1825. The buildings are grouped in a complex, which spreads around the junction of the main Eylesbarrow track and the Wheal Katherine track. The timber house at Grid Reference SX 5985 6812 was probably also of timber construction as only a stone foundation survives today. It has internal dimensions 13.5 metres by 7.6 metres. Running lengthwise along the building are traces of a stone lined trench which is likely to have been a saw pit. At some time in the late 1830s or early 1840s, some of the area around the building complex was enclosed to create several fields and a garden, totalling 2.5 hectares. The fields are recorded on the Tithe Apportionment and include arable and pasture and may represent some small-scale farming by captains and workers at the mine. Documentary reference to these enclosures is non-existent other than the Tithe map depiction.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording forms, WLK-DT36 (Worksheet). SDV362781.

Visited 19/9/2019. Building covered with grass and reeds with a few netles and thistles. Overall condition very good. Photo taken.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording photographs, WLK-DT36 (Photograph). SDV363073.

Photo looking 280° showing grass and reeds with a few nettles and thistles.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157230.
SDV345855Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Survey Information (miscellaneous date). English Heritage. Digital.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 38, Figure 2.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped features: #98162 ; #98163 ]
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300619.
SDV362781Worksheet: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording forms. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-DT36.
SDV363073Photograph: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording photographs. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-DT36.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66452Related to: Blacksmiths Workshop at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Building)
MDV66449Related to: Peat Store at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Building)
MDV66450Related to: Powder Magazine south of Ancillary Buildings at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Sep 16 2019 6:04PM