HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66452
Name:Blacksmiths Workshop at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Blacksmiths workshop building (g) forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 599 681
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/42
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Small rectangular building shown on 19th century Tithe Map with a larger square building to the east. A possible adjoining wall exists between the two.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

One long rectangular building shown on 19th century map.


Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157231 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Blacksmith's shop, 440 metres south of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. The blacksmith's shop is a three roomed structure which appears to have been extended in an easterly direction. The western part is most carefully built and is formed by a 0.6 metre wide double faced drystone wall standing 0.7 metres high. Many of the stones are drill marked. Interior strewn with blocks of rubble. Grass and heather. Each subsequent addition is larger going from 3 metres wide to 4.1 metres wide and finally 5 metres wide. Whole structure is terraced into the slope and sits beside an eroding track. The western end overlies an earlier gully.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 142, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

Visited 19/9/2019. Building generally covered with grass with reeds at E end. Overall condition very good. Photo taken.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 38, Figure 2 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

The blacksmiths shop building (g) at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine consists of three conjoined rectangualr structures all of which are ruined to almost ground level. The central section was probably open fronted.


English Heritage, 2005, Survey Information (miscellaneous date) (Report - Survey). SDV345855.

Two rectangular buildings with the suggestion of a central adjoining building shown on survey.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Ruined buildings shown on aerial photograph.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Three adjoining buildings shown on modern mapping on the north side of the track.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300619 (Website). SDV355682.

A complex of mine buildings situated near the centre of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. The complex includes two powder houses, a blacksmiths workshop and count house, all of which are depicted and named on a map dated 1825. The buildings were surveyed as part of an English Heritage archaeological field survey of the tin mine in 1999 and traces of the buildings were visible as earthworks.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording forms, WLK-DT-36 (Worksheet). SDV362781.


Various, 2018-2019, PALs Condition Recording photographs, WLK-dt36 (Photograph). SDV363073.

Photo looking 090° showing grass cover with reeds at E end.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. 142, Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157231.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345855Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Survey Information (miscellaneous date). English Heritage. Digital.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 38, Figure 2.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #98164 ]
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300619.
SDV362781Worksheet: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording forms. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-DT-36.
SDV363073Photograph: Various. 2018-2019. PALs Condition Recording photographs. PALs Condition Assessment Project Forms. Digital. WLK-dt36.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66455Related to: Barracks at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66454Related to: Counting House later becoming a Mansion at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66449Related to: Peat Store at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Building)
MDV66451Related to: Storehouse for Timber and Carpenters' Workshop at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Sep 16 2019 6:06PM