HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV66459
Name:Leat 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine


Leat 3 to the north-west of the main buildings forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine


Grid Reference:SX 593 681
Map Sheet:SX56NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Record of the Historic Environment: 1448378
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NE/27/2/6
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467
  • Pastscape: 1300505

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LEAT (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157238 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2009. Leat 520 metres south-south-west of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Leat shown on maps of 1825, but not on later ones. This leat carried water from Copothorn Rushes to a reservoir. The leat is 1.2 metres wide and 0.6 metres deep. It is cut by a shaft and re-routed around it.

Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 36, Figure 2 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

An additional supply of water was diverted to Engine Wheel 2 from an area on the north side of the openworks near the main buildings at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. This probably utilised hillside rainwater runoff and was not a particularly reliable supply but demonstrates how much water this large wheel must have required.

Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.

English Heritage, 2005, Leats Survey Information (Report - Survey). SDV347529.

Leat shown on survey.

Newman, P., 2006, Cramber Tor Training Area Archaeological Field Investigation (Report - Survey). SDV233640.

(01/05/2006) SX 5942 6824 Three dry leats on the lower western slopes of Eylesbarrow, two of which may be associated with Eylesbarrow Mine wheelpit. The mine leats cut a sinuous course down the hillside extending between the area south of the mine buildings to just east of the wheelpit at SX 5927 6821. The third leat cuts a north-north-west course along the contour, crossing the Eylesbarrow Reave and fading out to the north in a marshy area. The leat channels are up to 1m wide in places and 0.6m deep with a linear mound of spoil on the downslope side. Although the leats may be have been used to supply the waterwheel, no association can be identified on the ground.

GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Sections of the leat visible on aerial photographs.

English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.

National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300505 (Website). SDV355682.

Remains of nineteenth century mine shafts and adits at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine, which was mined from 1814 until 1856.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV233640Report - Survey: Newman, P.. 2006. Cramber Tor Training Area Archaeological Field Investigation. English Heritage.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157238.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV347529Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Leats Survey Information. English Heritage. Digital. [Mapped feature: #98170 ]
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 36, Figure 2.
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300505.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV3577Related to: Engine Wheelpit 2 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66511Related to: Leat at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66402Related to: Mine Shaft 9 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV24841Related to: Trial Pits at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor. The Eylesbarrow archaeological landscape
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine
  • EDV7382 - Condition Survey of the Cramber Tor Training Area
  • EDV8155 - Plym Valley Survey

Date Last Edited:May 25 2021 3:12PM