HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV66500
Name:Tramway 3 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Summary

Tramway 3 running parallel to the main track is one of three tramways forming part of the 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine

Location

Grid Reference:SX 600 682
Map Sheet:SX66NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSheepstor
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSHEEPSTOR

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX66NW/216/31
  • Old SAM Ref: 34467

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TRAMWAY (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Gerrard, S., 1990-2002, Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset., MPP 157267 (Report - Survey). SDV277946.

Site visited on 9th May 2002. Tramway 350 metres south of Eylesbarrow, forming part of Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Tramway apparent as a 2.5 metre wide levelled area either cutting or embanked through the tinwork earthworks. In places it is rutted by vehicles.


Newman , P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, 37, Figure 2, Appendix 3 (Report - Survey). SDV352201.

Several features at the mine were accessed by tramways for the transportation of mined ore between the shafthead and the dressing floors. Three tramways have been identified at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine. Tramway 3 runs parallel with the Whiteworks track between Philip's Shaft number 16 and Whitford/Henry's Engine Shaft number 21 and may have continued to Pryce Deacon's Shaft number 22 as a short section reappears just beyond the spoilheap of Shaft number 21. Map object partly based on this source.


Newman, P., 1999, Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine, Figure 2 (Article in Serial). SDV231130.


English Heritage, 2005, Survey Information (miscellaneous date) (Report - Survey). SDV345855.

Short eastern section of the tramway shown on survey. Map object partly based on this source.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

Parts of this feature visible on aerial photograph. Map object partly based on this source.


English Heritage, 2013, Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains (Schedule Document). SDV231131.

The 19th century Eylesbarrow Tin Mine opened in 1814 and continued until 1852. During this time several companies were formed to run the mine and most failed to make a profit. Eylesbarrow's importance stems from its unrivalled array of 19th century mining remains making it the largest and most informative example of a large scale water powered tin mine in Britain. At least 27 shafts and five adits were cut to reach the tin lodes, seven whim platforms and two water powered engine wheels were built to power the lifting and pumping machinery, a series of tramways were made to carry the ore to six separate stamping mills and, to complete the picture, a smelting house was constructed to smelt the processed tin from the stamping mills. The size of the operation is further emphasised by the large number of ancillary buildings constructed to serve the mine. Amongst these are a count house, dormitory accommodation, blacksmith's shop, powder houses, sample house and various storage buildings.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300609 (Website). SDV355682.

Remains of a tramway at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine which was in use between 1814-52. An archaeological field survey by English Heritage in 1999 found the tramway extending parallel with the Whiteworks track between Philip's Shaft and Whitford or Henry's Engine Shaft, and may have continued to Pryce Deacon's shaft. The tramway survives as a level earthwork surface and the rails have been removed.


National Monument Record, 2014, Pastscape, 1300609 (Website). SDV355682.

Remains of a tramway at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine which was in use between 1814-52. An archaeological field survey by English Heritage in 1999 found the tramway extending parallel with the Whiteworks track between Philip's Shaft and Whitford or Henry's Engine Shaft, and may have continued to Pryce Deacon's shaft. The tramway survives as a level earthwork surface and the rails have been removed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV231130Article in Serial: Newman, P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume. Figure 2.
SDV231131Schedule Document: English Heritage. 2013. Eylesbarrow Tin Mine and associated remains. The Schedule of Monuments. Website.
SDV277946Report - Survey: Gerrard, S.. 1990-2002. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Monument Protection Programme. Archaeological Item Dataset.. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. MPP 157267.
SDV345855Report - Survey: English Heritage. 2005. Survey Information (miscellaneous date). English Heritage. Digital.
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV352201Report - Survey: Newman , P.. 1999. Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine. English Heritage Survey Report. A4 Spiral Bound. 37, Figure 2, Appendix 3.
SDV355682Website: National Monument Record. 2014. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 1300609.

Associated Monuments

MDV3330Part of: Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66472Related to: Mine Shaft 21 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66477Related to: Mine Shaft 22 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66461Related to: Shaft 16 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)
MDV66460Related to: Whim Platform at Philips Shaft Number 16 at Eylesbarrow Tin Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4966 - Survey of Drizzlecombe, Eylesbarrow, Ditsworthy and Hartor
  • EDV6239 - Eylesbarrow (Ailsborough) Tin Mine

Date Last Edited:Jul 25 2014 11:07AM