HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV66754
Name:Wadeclyve Chapel, Frithelstock


The possible site of a chapel documented in 1351.


Grid Reference:SS 475 193
Map Sheet:SS41NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishFrithelstock
Ecclesiastical ParishFRITHELSTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS41NE/228

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Cramp, C., Notes re. Drummit's Mill (Correspondence). SDV336003.

Des=cramp,c/history of frithelstock priory in devon archaeological exploration society/(1929)12-13/photocopy of article + letter in pf.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV1174.

Des=os 25" (1880) map.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV148.

The os 25" (1880) shows the cottage of 'mount pleasant' surrounded by a sub-circular enclosure to the west of the wood (os).

CRAMP, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV219834.

Possible site of a chapel mentioned in 1351 as being near a wood called 'wadeclyve'. The bishop ordered its destruction with the timber + larger stones to be removed to the precincts monastery. The cottage at 'mount pleasant' was previously surrounded by 'pencleave wood' + was known as 'waddycleave' or waddacleave' belonging to 'pencleave farm' (cramp).

Coulter, J., 2006, An Ecclesiastical Spat at Frithelstock, 21-22 (Article in Serial). SDV351625.

In 1351 Bishop John Grandisson of Exeter demanded that the chapel in Waddycleve Wood, which was dedicated to Mary the Virgin, be destroyed together with all its contents. This was apparently eventually done. However, the entry for Frithelstock in Jeremiah Mills' parish questionnaire in the late 18th century records a dwelling house at 'Waddecleve' which 'goes by ye name of ye Chappell'. A house called Mount Pleasant still stands here. It appears, therefore, that despite the threat of excommunication the cannons of Frithelstock deceived the Bishop. On a medieval bench end in Frithelstock Church are the carved heads of the bishop and the prior sticking their tongues out at one another.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1174Migrated Record:
SDV148Migrated Record:
SDV219834Migrated Record: CRAMP.
SDV336003Correspondence: Cramp, C.. Notes re. Drummit's Mill. Letter and Notes. Letter + Digital.
SDV351625Article in Serial: Coulter, J.. 2006. An Ecclesiastical Spat at Frithelstock. North Devon Archaeological Society Newsletter. 12. A5 Stapled + Digital. 21-22.

Associated Monuments

MDV126559Related to: Enclosure to west of Mount Pleasant, Frithelstock (Monument)
MDV419Related to: Frithelstock Priory, Frithelstock, Torridge (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Oct 2 2019 10:01AM