HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV67442
Name:The Bedford Inn, Tavistock

Summary

Site of the former Bedford Inn, shown on mid 18th century plan of Tavistock, adjacent to the Abbey Gate. It was demolished in the 1820s and replaced by the Bedford Hotel nearby. Remains of walls were identified during excavation of a sewer trench in 1997.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 481 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SE/83/1

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks (Monograph). SDV354806.

Site of the Bedford Arms, once the town's principal inn. It was demolished in the 1820s to be substituted by the Bedford Hotel.

Stead, P. M., 1999, Archaeological Investigations at Tavistock Abbey 1997-1999 (Article in Serial). SDV336200.

Excavation of a sewer trench in 1997 revealed evidence for a post-medieval building beneath the junction of Bedford Square and Plymouth Road, to the east of the Bedford Hotel. Two parallel mud-bonded slate walls were exposed 0.7 metres below street level. They were aligned north-east to south-west, 1 metre wide by 0.4 metres high, and 5 metres apart. The north-east face of an associated third wall was also exposed. The metalled surface of Abbey Court ran beneath this building. The position and alignment of the walls suggests they represent a building shown on Wynne's plan of 1752/3 and identified as the Bedford Inn.

Mettler, A.E., 2010, Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752, 29, F2 (Monograph). SDV350389.

Near Higher Abbey Gate, F2 is described as ' A House Garden Outhouses etc called the Bedford Inn'.

The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project, 2012, Tavistock 1752, F2 (Website). SDV350360.

South West Water, Unknown, Exhibition of Archaeological Discoveries in Tavistock (Leaflet). SDV354596.

The footings of an old inn were found during excavations in 1997 along the route of a new sewer system Cobbled street surfaces and the remains of drains, some of which had been constructed with roofing tiles were also revealed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336200Article in Serial: Stead, P. M.. 1999. Archaeological Investigations at Tavistock Abbey 1997-1999. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 57. Paperback Volume.
SDV350360Website: The Tavistock Wynne Map Heritage Project. 2012. Tavistock 1752. http://www.tavistock1752.co.uk/index.cfm. Website. F2. [Mapped feature: #98460 ]
SDV350389Monograph: Mettler, A.E.. 2010. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Field Book to the Plan of Tavistock: 1751 and 1752. Paperback Volume. 29, F2.
SDV354596Leaflet: South West Water. Unknown. Exhibition of Archaeological Discoveries in Tavistock. A4 Folded + digital.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback.

Associated Monuments

MDV16861Related to: The Bedford Hotel, Tavistock (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4255 - Investigations at Tavistock Sewer Improvement Scheme

Date Last Edited:Feb 5 2020 4:46PM