HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV6797
Name:Teignhead Farm, Manga Hill, Dartmoor Forest

Summary

Remains of Teignhead Farm shown on 19th century maps which was established in 1780. It was requisitioned by the War Office in 1942 and never reoccupied

Location

Grid Reference:SX 635 843
Map Sheet:SX68SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLYDFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX68SW/45

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Teignhead Farm' shown on 19th century Tithe Map as a group of buildings in a rectilinear yard with a track to the north-east. The Apportionment for' Teignhead Farm' lists Field Number 306 as 'Dwelling House, Court and Garden'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Harris, H., 1968, Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor, 203 (Monograph). SDV149229.

The deserted remains of Teignhead Farm provide an example of an abandoned Dartmoor agricultural enterprise, though the decay of the house has recently been arrested.


Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 813-818 Photograph 402 (Monograph). SDV249702.

Teignhead Farm was established in 1780. Some magnificent gateposts were cut and slotted on Manga Hill and sledded down to the farm. A leat from Great Mire Stream brought water to a dripping well near the front door. In the house two alcoves were built on either side of the main fireplace which are still standing as are the side walls of the porch and a linhay at the south end of the house.


Starkey, F. H., 1987-1981, The area around Nun’s Cross Farm, 146-9 (Article in Serial). SDV345533.

Teignhead Farm was deserted as a result of military training in 1942. It was never re-occupied, its buildings were demolished in the late 1960's. Built in 1780 on land rented from the Duchy of Cornwall.


Probert, S. A. J., 1990, Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation (Report - Survey). SDV214863.

Site visited on 22nd March 1990. Though the first leases date from 1808 it is thought that the farm originated in the late 18th century. Cultivation ceased when the farm was requisitioned by the War Office in 1942 and though handed back in 1950 it was never re-inhabited, the area is currently leased to two tenants and used solely as rough grazing. The now-ruinous farmhouse at SX63528435 (one of two mentioned in a lease of November 1808) consists of boulder walls with a loose growan packing standing up to 3 metres high. Measuring 4 metres by 10.6 metres internally it was probably subdivided by a wall to the right of the central entrance porch on the south-east side. Blocked windows are visible in the north-west side and a fireplace exists in the centre of the south-west end. A single-room outbuilding abuts the south-west end of the farmhouse.The small fields around the farm are gradually reverting to moorland pasture. Two small areas of cultivation ridges (lazy beds) centred at SX63538434 and SX63638441 can however still be distinguished. A pair of slotted gateposts are visible on the south-east side of the yard. Their presence endorses Hemery's suggestion of a late 18th century origin for the farmstead. The second group of buildings on Teignhead lie at SX63918484 and are described by Hemery as Manga House. Their origin is probably contemporary with the main farm buildings though abandonment may have been much earlier.


White, P., 2013, Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads, Teignhead (Un-published). SDV352501.

Ordnance Survey map annotation shows a ruined farmstead at Teignhead Farm.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Teignhead Farm shown on modern mapping as several ruined buildings and yards surrounded by a group of small fields.


National Monument Record, 2015, Pastscape, 621755 (Website). SDV357603.

The now-ruinous farmhouse at SX 63528435 (one of two mentioned in a lease of November 1808 consists of boulder walls with a loose packing standing up to 3.0 metres high and measuring 4.0 metres by 10.6 metres internally. A pair of slotted gateposts are visible on the south-east side of the yard.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV149229Monograph: Harris, H.. 1968. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. Industrial Archaeology of Dartmoor. A5 Hardback. 203.
SDV214863Report - Survey: Probert, S. A. J.. 1990. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation. Royal Commission for the Historical Monuments of England Field Investigation. Unknown.
SDV249702Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 813-818 Photograph 402.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV345533Article in Serial: Starkey, F. H.. 1987-1981. The area around Nun’s Cross Farm. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 34. 146-9.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV352501Un-published: White, P.. 2013. Previously Unsurveyed Dartmoor Historic Farmsteads. Excel Spreadsheet. Teignhead.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #98756 ]
SDV357603Website: National Monument Record. 2015. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website. 621755.

Associated Monuments

MDV54682Related to: Gatepost (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 27 2015 12:39PM