HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV6872
Name:St Mary's Parish Church, Belstone

Summary

Parish church largely rebuilt in 1881 apart from the tower which is 15th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 619 935
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 615321
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/7
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XV to XIX - 1401 AD to 1900 AD (Between))
  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to World War II - 1914 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Bligh Bond, F., 1903, Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II, 441 (Article in Serial). SDV6113.

Oak screen, removed in restoration.


Stone, H., 1920-1921, Belstone Church Screen, 32 (Article in Serial). SDV242251.

Until about 1875 the church contained a fine screen which was then removed.


Rundle, J., 1920-1921, Belstone Church Screen, 76 (Article in Serial). SDV242484.

Screen may be in a linhay on the farm of the ancient former vicarage.


R. B. M., 1926-1927, Poughill Hospital, 279 (Article in Serial). SDV222637.

According to Kelly's directory the dedication of Belstone Church is the annunciation, which would be unique for Devon. R. B. M. disputes this dedication


Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: South Devon, 46 (Monograph). SDV336217.

Granite ashlar, with two stage west tower, unbuttressed with obelisk pinnacles. Plain granite windows.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 331-332 (Monograph). SDV17562.

St. Mary's Church, Belstone. Practically rebuilt in 1881, except for the low 15th century tower. A gallery at the west end of the south aisle, where the choir used to sit, was removed, additional info


Department of Environment, 1960, Okehampton RD, 1 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV275388.

Much restored 15th century fabric.


Department of Environment, 1988, Belstone. Provisional List, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV350269.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, 15th century tower; early 16th century south aisle; nave, chancel and north porch rebuilt during major renovation of 1881. Tower and aisle of massive coursed blocks of granite ashlar (more regular in the aisle); nave and chancel of snecked granite; granite ashlar detail; slate roof. See listing description for full details.


Walpole, C. + Walpole, M., 2002, The Book of Belstone. Words and Images from a Dartmoor Village (Monograph). SDV357830.


Levy, S., 2005, An Incised Stone at Belstone (Report - Survey). SDV350637.


Sayers, S., 2005?, The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Belstone (Leaflet). SDV360891.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Church of St. Mary the Virgin. Parish church. 15th century tower; early 16th century south aisle; nave, chancel and north porch rebuilt during major renovation of 1881. Tower and aisle of massive coursed blocks of granite ashlar (more regular in the aisle); nave and chancel of snecked granite; granite ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: Nave and chancel under continuous roof. Full length south aisle. West tower. Vestry in angle of tower and aisle. North porch. Exterior: Low unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages with embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Internal stair in north-west corner. Belfry has lancet windows, double ones on east and north sides. West side has 2-centred arch doorway with double- chamfered surround below a square-headed twin lancet window with sunken spandrels and the remnants of a hoodmould. 19th century nave and chancel north side includes gabled porch towards right end with 2-centred outer arch. To left of this is a reset late 15th-early 16th century square-headed 3-light window with ogee heads, sunk spandrels and hoodmould with rosettes carved on the labels. Left of this 2 19th century lancets (the end one to the chancel) and another at the right end. East end has a fleure lona apex cross on the gable and contains a 19th century square-headed 3-light window with round-headed lights, sunken spandrels and a hoodmould. The south aisle has similar windows but these are early 16th century; a 3-light window on east end and 4 windows on south side, the right pair 3 lights and taller than the left end 2-light windows. 19th century chimney shaft between the right two. 19th century flat-roofed vestry in same style. Interior: 19th century south doorway, a plain 2-centred arch, contains a plank door with good wrought iron ferramenta. The roofs are 19th century, open wagon roofs to nave and aisle and a 3-bay roof of arch-braced trusses to the chancel. 15th century tall tower arch; a plain round-headed arch on soffit-chamfered imposts. Early 16th century 5-bay arcade with one overlapping the chancel; low arches with double-chamfered arch rings on monolithic octagonal columns with soffit-chamfered caps. The floor is a chequer pattern of 19th century tiles including some reset 17th and 18th century graveslabs. Plastered walls. Fittings and Furniture: Altar piece of 1912 comprising oak panels either side of a painting of the Madonna and Child (a copy of that by Mario Basaili). The 1881 altar was moved in 1930 to the south aisle where it was rededicated to our Lady, St. Francis and St. Lawrence. Oak chancel altar rail of 1881 is unusual with standards carved as openwork vines. Rood beam with bronze figure of Christ is a First World War memorial. Pulpit, lecturn and prayer desk are late 19th and 20th century, all oak with some good carving. 20th century, seating. 15th century octagonal granite font has plain stem and base. Painted arms of George III in south aisle. The only memorial is a shaped marble plaque in memory of Reverend William Hole (died 1828) signed by J. Taylor of Pembroke. Some late 19th and 20th century stained glass. An unremarkable and much rebuilt Dartmoor church.


Muriel and Richard Brine, 2015, Devon Heritage, war memorial pages (Website). SDV352499.

Belstone War Memorials, two plaques in the church dedicated to those who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. Further details, where available, are included.


Curno, J., 2015, John Curno Photography (Website). SDV357649.

Belstone. Two photographs of the memorial in St. Mary the Virgin church.


Greeves, T., 31/03/1982, Incised Stone (Worksheet). SDV222639.

Site visit 30th March 1982. Possible early Christian incised stone on west side of porch on north wall of Belstone Church.


Moorlock, C., Unknown, Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Belstone (Leaflet). SDV222641.

There has been a church at Belstone from at least 1260. The simple granite church dates back to around the 13th century. Heavily restored in the 1880s. Original font. Modern rood screen by Herbert Reed, erected as the parish's memorial to its fallen in World War I with the names of the World War II fallen added. The altarpiece was given in 1912. Modern stained glass window depicting the saints. At the back of the south aisle are the arms of George III. In the tower hang six bells. Three are recorded in the reign of Henry VI which probably survived until 1751 when they were re-cast and a peal of five were hung. In 1955 the bells were rehung and a sixth added, all are inscribed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 331-332.
SDV222637Article in Serial: R. B. M.. 1926-1927. Poughill Hospital. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 279.
SDV222639Worksheet: Greeves, T.. 31/03/1982. Incised Stone. Worksheet.
SDV222641Leaflet: Moorlock, C.. Unknown. Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Belstone.
SDV242251Article in Serial: Stone, H.. 1920-1921. Belstone Church Screen. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 11.1. Unknown. 32.
SDV242484Article in Serial: Rundle, J.. 1920-1921. Belstone Church Screen. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 11.1. Unknown. 76.
SDV275388List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1960. Okehampton RD. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 1.
SDV336217Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: South Devon. The Buildings of England: South Devon. Paperback Volume. 46.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #98892 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV350269List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Belstone. Provisional List. Historic Houses Register. Unknown. 4.
SDV350637Report - Survey: Levy, S.. 2005. An Incised Stone at Belstone. Dartmoor National Park Authority Report. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.
SDV352499Website: Muriel and Richard Brine. 2015. Devon Heritage. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. war memorial pages.
SDV357649Website: Curno, J.. 2015. John Curno Photography. http://johncurnophotography.co.uk. Website.
SDV357830Monograph: Walpole, C. + Walpole, M.. 2002. The Book of Belstone. Words and Images from a Dartmoor Village. The Book of Belstone. Words and Images from a Dartmoor Village. Paperback Volume.
SDV360891Leaflet: Sayers, S.. 2005?. The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Belstone. Church Guide. Digital.
SDV6113Article in Serial: Bligh Bond, F.. 1903. Devonshire Screens and Rood Lofts. Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 35. Digital. 441.

Associated Monuments

MDV121147Related to: Almhouses, Belstone (Building)
MDV121151Related to: Church Haye, Belstone (Building)
MDV103221Related to: Early Christian Stone in Belstone Parish Church, Belstone (Monument)
MDV121153Related to: Hillside and adjoining cottage, Belstone (Building)
MDV121167Related to: Milner's Rectory, Belstone (Building)
MDV18051Related to: Old Rectory Farmhouse, Belstone (Building)
MDV121159Related to: Outbuildings south-east of the church, Belstone (Building)
MDV121157Related to: Row of cottages south-east of Church, Belstone (Building)
MDV121149Related to: The Barton, Belstone (Building)
MDV118536Related to: The Tors Hotel, Belstone (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 27 2018 4:39PM