HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV6933
Name:Chapel of St. Michael of Halstock

Summary

No longer extant, this chapel is only known from documentary sources and precise location has not been confirmed. According to the 1240 Perambulation of Dartmoor, an ancient chapel stood at Halstock dedicated to St. Michael. In the area surrounding Lower Halstock Farm there are the remains of Medieval settlement. Crossing suggests that a cross from near the chapel was taken to Friar's Well. Nearby Chapel Ford has been suggested as a possible location.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 604 934
Map Sheet:SX69SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishBelstone
Civil ParishOkehampton Hamlets
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBELSTONE
Ecclesiastical ParishOKEHAMPTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX69SW53
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX69SW/58
  • Pastscape: 619305

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XII to XIII - 1140 AD? to 1240 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Site of the chapel is not depicted on the Tithe Map in this area.

Whale, T. W., 1893, Some Remarks on the Bounds of the Forest of Dartmoor, 529 (Article in Serial). SDV343740.

Chapel of St. Michael of Halgestock; the old map places this chapel exactly on the boundary but its site has not been ascertained.

Crossing, W., 1902, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor, 105? (Monograph). SDV178385.

Crossing quotes an old tradition that a cross which once stood near the chapel was taken to Friar's Well.

Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 203 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Halstock is 'Halgestoke' in 1240, 'Holstocke Ball' in 1622, meaning 'Holy Place'. There was an ancient chapel here, dedicated to St. Michael, which is mentioned in the 1240 Perambulation of Dartmoor.

Linehan, C. D., 1966, Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon, 127 (Article in Serial). SDV307246.

Halstock Chapel was part of a former village where six tenements were recorded in 1586. The chapel of St Michael of Halgestoke is named in the account of a perambulation of Dartmoor Forest made in 1240.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1978, SX69SW31 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV269434.

(27/01/1978) Suggestion that the chapel was sited at Chapel Ford at SX 6078 9344 (MDV6932).

Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 866-7 (Monograph). SDV249702.

The Perambulation return of 1240 records a 'capelle Soreti Michaelis de Halgestake', and in the 1609 Perambulation there is a Chapple of Halstocke'. Traditionally the chapel is associated with Chapel Lands, a field which lies to the south-east of Lower Halstock Farm. Several longhouses can be seen on earthworks over a large area. Several lie near Lower Halstock Farm. In the field below (east of) Chapel Lands are two longhouses, lying end to end, 30 feet apart (MDV13058). The eastern measures 30 feet by 15 feet, the western 27 feet by 15 feet. These lie near the well known as Chapel Lands Spring. The outline of several enclosures also lie in this field.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 203.
SDV178385Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1902. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor. Unknown. 105?.
SDV249702Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 866-7. [Mapped feature: #125197 Precise location not known., ]
SDV269434Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1978. SX69SW31. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Unknown.
SDV307246Article in Serial: Linehan, C. D.. 1966. Deserted Sites and Rabbit-Warrens on Dartmoor, Devon. Medieval Archaeology. 10. Digital. 127.
SDV343740Article in Serial: Whale, T. W.. 1893. Some Remarks on the Bounds of the Forest of Dartmoor. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 25. Website. 529.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV6932Related to: Chapel Ford, Halstock Wood (Monument)
MDV13058Related to: Deserted Medieval Settlement west of Halstock Wood (Monument)
MDV4800Related to: Fice's or Fitz's Holy Well, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV107584Related to: Halstock Farm, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV107585Related to: Homestead at Halstock, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)
MDV128089Related to: Ridge and furrow near Lower Halstock Farm (Monument)
MDV6900Related to: Saxon fortified farm at Halstock (Monument)
MDV4799Related to: Stone Cross adjoining Fitz (or Fice's) Well, Okehampton Hamlets (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 7 2020 11:12AM