HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7026
Name:Malborough, All Saints

Summary

Thirteenth century church, largely rebuilt in the 15th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 706 398
Map Sheet:SX73NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMalborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishMALBOROUGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5191
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX73NW/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 100742

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Thompson, A. H., 1913, Church Architecture in Devon, 485 (Article in Serial). SDV15387.


Hoskins, W. G., 1954, A New Survey of England: Devon, 430-431 (Monograph). SDV17562.

All Saints, parish church with broach spire. North and south aisles run the full length of its nave and chancel. Good 15th century arcades of Beer stone.


Department of Environment, 1967, Malborough (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV320486.

C13 largely rebuilt in C15, repaired in 1844 and restored in 1870. Built largely of coursed dressed blocks of the local Soar stone which is a kind of
slate. The tower and spire are rendered and likely to be of different construction being considerably earlier in date. All dressings are of granite or
restored in freestone. Gable ended slate roofs with decorative C19 ridge-tiles.
Plan: nave, north and south aisles and chapels (which extend full length of nave and chancel), south porch, west tower and vestry to north of north chapel. The earliest feature of the church is its C12 font, some C13 fabric survives in the chancel but it is mainly the tower and spire which constitute the pre-Perpendicular fabric of the church. The nave, aisles, chapels and porch date from a rebuilding in the circa late C15. The date of the vestry to the north of the church is uncertain; with its mullion windows and crenellated walls it appears to be C17 but might have been built later, re-using old materials. In 1844 the nave was repaired and in 1870 a thorough restoration took place, including a renewal of the roofs and seating.
Exterior: 3 stage tower with broach spire and diagonal buttresses. Shallow rectangular stair turret on south side. Single lancet belfry lights. No west
doorway. West window is C19 in Perpendicular style. The north aisle is battlemented and its stonework is of a slightly coarser finish than on the south
side. 7 bays of debased Perpendicular granite windows with buttresses between. Small 4-centred roll-moulded north doorway. Large crenellated vestry at east end of aisle has 2 granite mullion windows and small rubble chimney. At the east end the 3 gable ends are parallel and each has a C19 restored 5-light Perpendicular window. South chapel has a granite 3-light Perpendicular window and a 4-centre arched, roll-moulded priest's doorway. South aisle has 7 bays, 5 of which are occupied by debased Perpendicular windows, the other 2 by the 5-sided rood stair turret and the 2 storey porch. This has roll-moulded 4-centre arched doorway of South Hams voussoir type and small cinquefoiled light above.
Interior: porch has very good granite rib-vaulted ceiling with 6 shafts supporting the moulded ribs and large carved bosses at their intersections. Holy
water stoup with carved granite bowl. C15 granite south doorway with 4-centred arch and double roll-moulding. Interior of church and arcades are whitewashed.
The 8-bay Beer stone arcades have clustered columns with individual carved capital to each shaft, moulded 4-centred arches between. The last bay of the northern arcade at the east end is of granite. 2 centred tower arch of voussoir stones. To the south of it is a small shouldered-head stone doorway to the tower stairs.
A 2-centred granite doorway in the north-west corner is of uncertain function. C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of sanctuary and adjoining it is the
springing of an arch apparently for a sedilia but cut off by the later arcade.
Filling the eastern end bay of each arcade is a section of the C15 rood screen, considerably restored. The parclose screens in the adjoining bay are also
medieval but somewhat restored. The wagon roofs have been completely renewed during the restoration as has the seating throughout and the pulpit. Just inside the north doorway is another stoup with arch above and the front of the bowl carved with vine and grape device. Good C12 tub font with arcading around sides, the corner shafts to the central stem have been renewed.


Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N., 1989, The Buildings of England: Devon, 556 (Monograph). SDV325629.


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV15387Article in Serial: Thompson, A. H.. 1913. Church Architecture in Devon. Archaeological Journal. 70. Unknown. 485.
SDV17562Monograph: Hoskins, W. G.. 1954. A New Survey of England: Devon. A New Survey of England: Devon. A5 Hardback. 430-431.
SDV320486List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1967. Malborough. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV325629Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1989. The Buildings of England: Devon. The Buildings of England: Devon. Hardback Volume. 556.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #99363 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV106887Parent of: Bolt Head World War II Memorial, All Saints' Church (Monument)
MDV7030Parent of: FINDSPOT in the Parish of Malborough (Find Spot)
MDV7029Parent of: FONT in the Parish of Malborough (Monument)
MDV106885Parent of: Malborough World War II Memorial (Monument)
MDV7027Parent of: ROOD SCREEN in the Parish of Malborough (Monument)
MDV7028Parent of: SUNDIAL in the Parish of Malborough (Monument)
MDV104365Parent of: War Memorial in All Saints' Church (Monument)
MDV2078Related to: CHURCH HOUSE in the Parish of Parracombe (Building)
MDV44686Related to: COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT in the Parish of Malborough (Monument)
MDV43993Related to: FINDSPOT in the Parish of Malborough (Find Spot)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 10:38AM