HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV70278
Name:Delves Kitchen mine shaft, Gulworthy

Summary

One of the Delves Kitchen mine shafts, later worked as part of the Bedford United mine.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 439 724
Map Sheet:SX47SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX47SW/503/16

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MINE SHAFT (Constructed, XVII to XVIII - 1650 AD to 1799 AD (Between))

Full description

Buck, C., 2003, Bedford United Mine: Archaeological Assessment, 46-47, fig 24 (Site 25-29 in SMR) (Report - Assessment). SDV319828.

One of three shafts on the ‘Delves Kitchen Lode’ of ‘Bedford United Mine’ were surveyed in 2003. The shaft at the above grid reference is around 5.0 metres wide by 6.0 metres long and is flooded around 10.0 metres below ground level with timbers visible underwater.
Another shaft probably sunk in the 1920s around 8.0 metres to the west at SX43917243 is roughly 2.0 metres by 2.0 metres and opens to roughly 5.0 metres deep.
The third shaft at SX43967244 has been backfilled to ground level. An air shaft was located to the west at SX43897242 where there are slight undulations in a pasture field and an adit portal to the north at SX43917245 has a collapsed roof. The adit is 0.4 metres high and 0.4 metres wide with water issuing from the ground on either side.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 179-80, fig 6.30-31 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Delves Kitchen (engine shaft)
A relatively obscure copper working, this was formerly worked for tin in Heath Wood and Little Heath Wood, the mine's name is first mentioned in Elizabeth Cake's tinworks list of 1778, which originated in the mid-late 17th century, before the first copper boom. It's not known what the Tavistock Canal company did with this lode, which was operated as part of Bedford United Mine from the mid-19th century, but it appeared on their lists in the 1810-28 period.
One of three Delves Kitchen shafts on plan of surface workings (Fig 6.30).


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

'Shafts' depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV319828Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2003. Bedford United Mine: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall Archaeological Unit Report. 2003RO43. A4 Stapled + Digital. 46-47, fig 24 (Site 25-29 in SMR).
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113904 ]
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 179-80, fig 6.30-31.

Associated Monuments

MDV3861Part of: Bedford United Mine, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123331Related to: Delves Kitchen mine shaft, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV70350Related to: Delves Kitchen mine shaft, Gulworthy (Monument)
MDV123232Related to: Tavistock Canal, Main record (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Nov 7 2018 12:19PM