HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7053
Name:Signal Station at Signal House Point, Chivelstone

Summary

Ruins of former signal station built during the Napoleonic wars.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 771 354
Map Sheet:SX73NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishChivelstone
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishCHIVELSTONE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Trust SMR: 100589
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX73NE/4
  • Old SAM Ref: 33762

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SIGNAL STATION (XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Two buildings shown on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map at Signalhouse Point. Map object based on this Source.


Russell, P., 1955, Fire Beacons in Devon, 296 (Article in Serial). SDV336138.

Greenwoods mark a signal station on the high ground half a mile north of Prawle Point and signal station, at Signal House Point. In use during the Napoleonic wars in 1773.


Collings, A. G., 1984, Untitled Source (Worksheet). SDV346450.

The signal station dates from 1794. Situated at the highest point of the hill. The walls still stand circa 1.0 metres high. The site was previously know as Hurter's Top.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2001, Coaxial Field System and Semaphore Station at Signal House Point (Schedule Document). SDV346451.

On the highest point of Signal House Point, close to a rock outcrop, the ruins of an Admiralty semaphore station constructed in 1773 lie within the [coaxial] field system. It was one of a chain of statins linking the south coast ports with the Naval dockyard at Devonport. A rectangular building 8.95 metres long by 6.55 metres wide is aligned north to south and face swest. Of single storey with two rooms, it is sited on a terrace dug into the hilltop. The walls of mortared rubble are about 0.5 metres thick and survive up to 1.0 metres high. It had a roof of Welsh slate. A semaphore tower to its north is 2.0 metres square with mortared walls 0.4 metres thick, surviving up to 0.2 metres high.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336138Article in Serial: Russell, P.. 1955. Fire Beacons in Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 87. A5 Hardback. 296.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV346450Worksheet: Collings, A. G.. 1984. Worksheet.
SDV346451Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2001. Coaxial Field System and Semaphore Station at Signal House Point. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments

MDV63607Part of: Prehistoric Field System at Signalhouse Point (Monument)
MDV63607Related to: Prehistoric Field System at Signalhouse Point (Monument)
MDV63607Part of: Prehistoric Field System at Signalhouse Point (Monument)
MDV63607Related to: Prehistoric Field System at Signalhouse Point (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6587 - Archaeological Assessment of Land between Bolt Heat and Bolt Tail

Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2015 2:00PM