HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7064
Name:Chapel south of Horsepool Cove

Summary

Site of a possible chapel shown on 19th century maps to the south of Horsepool Cove

Location

Grid Reference:SX 752 388
Map Sheet:SX73NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishEast Portlemouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST PORTLEMOUTH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: 444224
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX73NE/16
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SX73NE3

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHAPEL (XIV to XV - 1301 AD to 1500 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1840, East Portlemouth (Cartographic). SDV156620.

Supposed site of chapel. Tithe map 1840 shows name of field of supposed site to be 'Chapel Park'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Chapel (Supposed site of)' shown on 19th century map to the south of Horsepool Cove.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Supposed site of Chapel' shown on early 20th century map.


Ordnance Survey, 1938, 136SE. Revision of 1905 with additions in 1938. Provisional Edition (Cartographic). SDV174491.

'Supposed site of Chapel' marked on 1938 map.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1960 - 1961, SX73NE3 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV156624.

A terrace has been levelled from the hillside at this point, but there are now no traces of any building. Some unworked stone lying in the area is probably part of natural subsoil exposed by construction of the terrace. Rector has no knowledge of the chapel.


Waterhouse, R., 2000, East Portlemouth Heritage Appraisal: An Archaeological History of the Parish, 23 (Report - non-specific). SDV340515.

Possibly the site of a private chapel associated with the rectory to the north. Probably dates from 14th to early 15th century and abandoned in the 1530 reformation.


James, J., 2009, Untitled Source (Personal Comment). SDV344015.

There is a positive reference to this chapel by R Polwhele in the late 18th century.


Pink, F., 2014-2015, South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment (Interpretation). SDV357736.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV156620Cartographic: Unknown. 1840. East Portlemouth. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV156624Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1960 - 1961. SX73NE3. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV174491Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1938. 136SE. Revision of 1905 with additions in 1938. Provisional Edition. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch Map. Map (Paper).
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340515Report - non-specific: Waterhouse, R.. 2000. East Portlemouth Heritage Appraisal: An Archaeological History of the Parish. A4 Stapled + Digital. 23.
SDV344015Personal Comment: James, J.. 2009.
SDV357736Interpretation: Pink, F.. 2014-2015. South Devon Coast Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. AC Archaeology Report. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments

MDV63346Related to: Rectory (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 27 2015 1:41PM