HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV70651
Name:27 Castle Street, Barnstaple

Summary

Former sunday school, built in 1894, now used as offices. Three storeys and garret, with a six-window Gothic-style front to Castle Street, and a similar three window front to Cross Street.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 557 331
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/419
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485559

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1894 AD to 1894 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Sunday School' shown as two adjoining L-shaped buildings at the junction of Castle Street and Cross Street. The building protrudes into Castle Street.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Rectangular building shown.


Department of Environment, 1988, Barnstaple (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV79511.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment, 23 (Report - Assessment). SDV319631.

27 Castle Street including 12 Cross Street was a 19th century Sunday School now used as offices. The three storey brick building under a slate roof was built in 1894, as the Jubilee Schools belonging to the Congregational Chapel in Cross Street, which replaced a smaller building built in 1858.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Formerly Listed as 27 Castle Street (including Number 12 Cross Street). Sunday School, now used as offices. 1894. By Lindley C Bridgman of Brayford. Cream-coloured brick with relieving arches of blue brick; dressings of stone and patterned tiles. Slated roof with pierced red ridge-tiles. Three storeys with garret and six-window Gothic-style front to Castle Street, three windows to Cross Street. Ground and 2nd storeys (except in the altered ground storey to Cross Street) have windows with pointed or round arches, the heads of the openings being filled with solid panels; the windows themselves are flat-headed and divided into two lights by columns with pink shafts (probably of sandstone) and foliated limestone capitals. Third storey has small paired windows, also with pointed arches, each window flanked by attached columns matching those below. Cross Street front has a similar window in the gable, but with a round light in the head of the arch. Castle Street front has a dormer gable, centrally placed, with five stepped, flat-headed openings containing louvres. Panel of yellow patterned tiles in apex of gable. Return front to left, facing north down Castle Street, is three window range with a 4th window on the splayed corner. Window pattern is similar to that in the other two fronts, except that in the 2nd storey the lights have round arches; patterned glazing with coloured glass. Doorway on corner has short attached columns and a round arch, within which is a trefoiled fanlight. Above the door is a stone plaque inscribed: 'The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom'. Historical Note: these were built as the Jubilee Schools belonging to the Congregational Chapel in Cross Street. They replaced a slightly smaller building designed in similar style and for the same purpose by R D Gould in 1858. In 1905 the schools had 16 teachers, 211 scholars and 164 members of bible classes.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.


Southwest Archaeology, 2013, Greater Barnstaple Area Project Database, BHBS Mapping Area 1162 (Un-published). SDV351581.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV319631Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.62. A4 Stapled + Digital. 23.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #99457 ]
SDV351581Un-published: Southwest Archaeology. 2013. Greater Barnstaple Area Project Database. Greater Barnstaple Area Project. Digital. BHBS Mapping Area 1162.
SDV79511List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Barnstaple. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV1378 - Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme Archaeological Assessment

Date Last Edited:Oct 3 2013 12:23PM