HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV70653
Name:Queen Annes Court, Castle Street and Commercial Road, Barnstaple

Summary

Houses or flats and former warehouses, latterly an ambulance station, late 19th century. Three storey front to Castle Street is a seven-window range with four windows in return front to left, and one window on splayed corner. Two storey front to Commercial Road is arranged in four bays.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 556 331
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/424
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485547

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • TERRACE (XIX to XX - 1897 AD to 1984 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Ordnance Survey, 1973, SS5433-5533 (Cartographic). SDV77308.

'Ambulance Station' shown on Commercial Road.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Queen Annes Court including former Ambulance Station fronting Commercial Road 3-6 was Listed on 31st August 1988. Houses or flats and former warehouses (latterly an ambulance station), converted to old people's flats in 1984. Range to Castle Street dated 1897; range to Commercial Road probably also built in 1897. Castle Street range is of red brick with stone dressings; ground storey and whole of rear wall rendered. Commercial Road range is of squared stone rubble with red brick dressings; part of ground storey and parapet, and whole of rear wall, rendered. Slate doors; Castle Street range hipped at left-hand end. Latter has three large, panelled brick chimneys on ridge and a smaller one to rear, at left-hand end. Double-depth range to Castle Street with short rear wing on left; single-depth range to Commercial Road, the two ranges separated by a small courtyard with entrance from a side street on the south. Exterior: three storeys to Castle Street, two storeys to Commercial Road. Front to Castle Street is seven-window range with four windows in return front to left and one window on splayed corner. Windows segmental-headed with keystones in ground and 2nd storeys, flat-headed in 3rd storey. All have four-pane sashes, nearly all of them 20th century replacements; alternate ground-floor windows to Castle Street are wider with triple sashes, the upper central sash of the two right-hand ones retaining original patterned glazing. Moulded string courses form pedestal to 2nd storey, where windows have bracketed cills, some of them carrying ornamental iron window-box holders. String course links the keystones, which in this storey have tiny segmental pediments. Lugged aprons to 3rd-storey windows. Coved eaves cornice. The splayed corner has a slightly different arrangement with three-light bow window in ground storey having square columns between and flanking the lights; top cornice surmounted by balustrade. In upper storeys the windows are set in a slight projection with triangular pediment above the eaves cornice. Both fronts have rainwater pipes with decorated heads carrying the date 1897. Front to Commercial Road is arranged in four bays separated and flanked by rusticated pilasters, each bay with a wide centre window (probably a loading bay originally) flanked by two small windows. 20th century barred sashes. Moulded band-course at first-floor level. Moulded top cornice and parapet. Return front to right has similar two-bay arrangement, but with only one small window in each bay; small circular window, now blocked, in gable. Interiors not inspected. Historical Note: draft Corporation leases of 1897, made out to two spirit merchants, refer to three bonded stores or warehouses 'newly erected' in Commercial Road. Two of them were described as Numbers 2 and 3 Commercial Road, probably this property. In the courtyard is a slate plaque recording the opening of the flats by Spiral Housing Association on 18 May 1984.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


Department of Environment, 29/09/1988, Barnstaple Re-Survey (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV59491.

Nos 3-6 Castle Street (Queen Anne’s Court, including former ambulance station fronting Commercial Road).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #99458 ]
SDV59491List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 29/09/1988. Barnstaple Re-Survey. A4 Unbound.
SDV77308Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1973. SS5433-5533. 1:2500 Ordnance Survey Map. Map (Paper).

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 30 2013 2:42PM