HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV70654
Name:2 Holland Street, Barnstaple

Summary

Small 17th century cottage, now converted to garage, forming the eastern end of a public house. Cob and stone with a pantiled roof.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 556 332
Map Sheet:SS53SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBARNSTAPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS53SE/426
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485651

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Shown as part of Golden Anchor public house.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment, 23 (Report - Assessment). SDV319631.

Former 17th century cottage converted to a garage forming the eastern end of ‘The Pit Stop’ public house which was formerly ‘The Anchor’ at 1-2 Holland Street in Barnstaple. The two storey cob cottage has a pantile roof and was shown as a separate dwelling on John Woods’ map of 1843. The public house also has some 17th century fabric with extensive 19th century alterations but is not included in the listing.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Garage at east end of The Anchor public house (the Anchor Public House not included). Formerly Listed as Holland Street (South side) The Pit Stop (formerly the Golden Anchor):garage at east end only). Cottage converted to garage, now forming eastern end of a public house (not included). 17th century. Solid, rendered front wall, probably of stone or cob, side walls of cob on a high stone rubble plinth; rear wall of stone rubble, the lower part mostly rebuilt in concrete block. Pantiled roof. One-room plan, approximately 5.3 metres wide and 5.2 metres deep. Two storeys. Front has wide vehicle entrance to right and small segmental-headed window to left. Latter contains a chamfered, rectangular wood frame of 17th century which must originally have had a central mullion; it now has a six-paned fixed sash. No upper-storey windows. Interior: chamfered upper floor beam with scroll-stops, clearly designed for a room of this width; fairly rough, plain joists, evidently made to fit this beam. Old floor boards above, probably re-used, to judge from the position of the redundant pegs fitted to them. No staircase, and no access at present to upper storey. This building is a rare survival of a small 17th century cottage, and though altered retains enough of its original shape and character to be of significance. It is shown as a separate dwelling in John Wood's map of 1843; there are no grounds for thinking it was originally part of a larger house. The public house itself (not included) is also an early structure much altered in 19th century. The walls are very thick in places and there are some old roof trusses, heavily plastered. The ground storey bar to left of the main entrance has one end of a chamfered upper floor beam and during building work in 1985 a large fireplace was partly exposed in the rear wall. The builders reported seeing a joist dated 1648 or 1668, apparently in its original position, in the eastern room next to the garage.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV319631Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme: Phase 1: Archaeological Assessment. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.62. A4 Stapled + Digital. 23.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #99459 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV1378 - Barnstaple Castle Car Park Scheme Archaeological Assessment

Date Last Edited:Feb 19 2015 2:51PM