HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV7122
Name:Tackbear Manor House, Bridgerule


16th century manor house with 17th, 18th and 19th century alterations.


Grid Reference:SS 257 018
Map Sheet:SS20SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBridgerule
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDGERULE WEST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS20SE/505
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS20SE1
  • Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division: SS20SE5

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Unknown date)

Full description

Unknown, Untitled Source (Photograph). SDV18066.

Other details: 903028,903033,903035,903037.

Glubb, A. de C., 1924 - 1925, Epitaph at Bridgerule, 356-357 (Article in Serial). SDV18167.

Tackbear manor granted to Richard Gilbert in time of Elizabeth. Owned by the author at the time of his writing.

Glubb, A. de C., 1926 - 1927, Tackbeare Manor, 25-30 (Article in Serial). SDV18166.

Tackbear Manor House, now partly demolished, believed to have been built mainly by Richard Gilbert in 16th century in form of letter E. Remaining features include arms of Gilbert and Rolle in the drawing room and those of Gilbert and Kniveton in a bedrooom, as well as some plasterwork. At the time of Domesday it was held by Bernard the Priest of the Earl Mortain. In the time of King Edward held by Aluric. The manor was part of the endowment of the Convent of St. Mary de Graces in the Tower of London in the time of Edward III. Account of the history of the manor.

Pevsner, N., 1952, The Buildings of England: North Devon, 150 (Monograph). SDV336196.

Contains scanty external features from the manor house of the Gilbert family.

Department of Environment, 1958, Holsworthy RD, 4 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV18164.

Mentioned in Domesday and a mansion from 16th to 18th centuries. Stone built with Tudor remains. Fireplace said to be 12th century. See listing description for full details.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1961, SS20SE1 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV18165.

Williams, H. F. F., 1964, Untitled Source (Un-published). SDV18172.

Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1977, SS20SE5 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV18171.

Tackbear (name confirmed) contains large amount of reused Tudor material, some original and in situ, and some modern items in antique style. Majority believed to have come from a Cornish house demolished in 1930's. The whole is outstanding as an archetectural agglomeration rather than a house of original merit. Other details: Photographs.

Department of Environment, 1989, Bridgerule, 11 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV6891.

Tackbere Farmhouse. Manor house, late 16th century, probably open hall house ceiled late 17th - early 18th century when plasterwork added, refenestrated possibly circa1820 when porch resited one bay north, corridor added on west front, 1858 south east wing taken down, improvements including reused material dated 1937 in west extension of north east wing, porch rebuilt and south wall rebuilt after collapse sometime in 20th century. Early 20th century work by Glubb who did much of the internal carving himself. Squared and coursed local stone, granite quoins and dressings, roughcast gable ends, slate roofs, brick stacks in outer bays of main block and at adjoining junctions with wings. Originally U-plan facing east with entrance to screens passage adjoining wing, end bay left of main block, the wing was demolished, the entrance having been moved one bay north, though it is now beside the north west addition of 1930s.
East front: 2 storeys, 4 bay main block, 3 bay re-entrant angle, all 12 pane sash windows, ground floor windows under granite lintels; entrance second bay left gabled porch, tablet above, plank inner door with decorative hinges. Two storey one bay addition to north west with reused granite mullioned window under hoodmould and reused hoodmould above blocked doorway.
Interior: complicated by Glubb's improvements which include reused work. Hall with decoration of circa 1700, plaster ceiling with oak leaf garland and plaster cornices including angle chimneybreast; entrance hall adjoining with cherub's face in oval and beam embellished by Glubb, square-headed granite lintels opening out of this room and into adjoining room south; north east wing with plasterwork overmantel containing coat of arms of the Gilbert and Rolle families, strapwork and supporting figures said to date from 1693, modern grate, remains of 18th century panelling. Staircase adjoining; resited tudor arch head granite opening, carved beams in 1930s gatehouse addition.
Upper floor: north east wing bedroom plasterwork cartouche containing the arms of the Gilbert and Kniveton families above bolection moulded fireplace surround, blocked, inserted flat ceiling cutting top of plasterwork, same in bedroom adjoining where plasterwork overmantel has the winged figure of Father Time pointing to the crown over the head of a diminutive George I on his right, to his left a naked figure thought to be the Old Pretender with a whip over his head slips away. There is a carved framework by Glubb. Moulded plaster cornices to 2 small bedrooms over the hall and former entrance hall. Roof timbers not seen. The house is thought to have been built by Richard Gilbert and the early 19th century improvements were by Colonel George Harwood.

Context One Archaeological Services, 2008, Redundant Barns, Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule, Devon, 38 (Report - Survey). SDV340622.

Some of the granite features in the farm buildings, which were extensively restored by Glubb in 1905, may have come from the demolished south east wing.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV18066Photograph: Unknown. Photograph in NMR. Photograph (Paper).
SDV18164List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1958. Holsworthy RD. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 4.
SDV18165Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1961. SS20SE1. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV18166Article in Serial: Glubb, A. de C.. 1926 - 1927. Tackbeare Manor. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 14. Unknown. 25-30.
SDV18167Article in Serial: Glubb, A. de C.. 1924 - 1925. Epitaph at Bridgerule. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 13. Unknown. 356-357.
SDV18171Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1977. SS20SE5. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV18172Un-published: Williams, H. F. F.. 1964. Notes on the Parish of Bridgerule. Manuscript.
SDV336196Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Paperback Volume. 150.
SDV340622Report - Survey: Context One Archaeological Services. 2008. Redundant Barns, Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule, Devon. Context One Archaeological Services Report. COAS/SBR/07/TBD. A4 Stapled + Digital. 38.
SDV6891List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Bridgerule. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 11.

Associated Monuments

MDV73619Part of: Calf house at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV74409Part of: Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV73615Related to: Barn at Tackbeare Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV10Related to: Bridgerule East, St Bridget's Parish Church (Building)
MDV6Related to: Cross at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV74411Related to: Pump at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV73618Related to: Shippon at Tackbeare Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3550 - SS20SE5

Date Last Edited:Jun 27 2008 1:13PM