HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV71638
Name:Lower Chuggaton, Swimbridge


Lower Chuggaton farmhouse possibly dates from the 16th century. It was unoccupied and being used as cattle shelter in 1985.


Grid Reference:SS 610 266
Map Sheet:SS62NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSwimbridge
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSWIMBRIDGE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

'Chuggaton Cottages' shown on OS 25" (1880s) map as a pair of semi-detached buildings on the north side of an irregular shaped yard with a row of outbuildings & a well to the south. Two small orchards are shown to the southwest & southeast of the cottages & at SS61032656 a small sub-circular feature c10m long x c7m wide may indicate the site of a pond.

Department of Environment, 1986, Swimbridge (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV85764.

Lower Chuggaton farmhouse to the south of Higher Chuggaton was unoccupied and used as cattle shelter in April 1985. Rendered stone rubble and cob. Corrugated asbestos roof with gable ends. Truncated lateral hall stack to front and at right gable end. Tall lateral brick stack to rear heating lower end. 3-room, formerly open hall plan with hall/cross-partition removed. Small projecting stair turret and dairy outshut to rear of hall and staircase removed from rear of cross-passage. A further narrow stair turret also with stairs removed to rear of inner room suggests that at an early date this end was partitioned off for separate occupation, as a doorway has been punched through the front wall of the inner room. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Plank doors to cross- passage and inner room. Interior: creamery intact to rear wall of hall. Bread ovens to lower end and inner room fireplaces. The ceiling to the hall is particularly interesting with a single longitudinal beam chamfered on the hall side only set slightly in from the former cross-passage partition and possibly evidence of a former jetty. Into this beam are tenoned a series of close-set joists lying across the hall, all of which are chamfered only on the forward facing arrises, with good traces of possibly 16C painted decoration in the form of simple scrolls and chevrons along the whole front length of each joist. The inner room has chamfered and scroll-stopped turns to stair turret door surround. Roof structure appears to be largely intact, with a single raised cruck truss over the hall, the purlins otherwise carried on solid cob partitions rising to the apex of the roof at the lower end of the cross-passage and between the hall and inner room. Despite their introduction, heavy smoke-blackening appeared to extend the length of the building suggesting it was originally entirely open to the roof, with subsequent flooring over in stages.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".
SDV85764List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Swimbridge. Historic Houses Register.

Associated Monuments

MDV33557Related to: Higher Chuggaton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 5 2023 10:51AM