HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV7173
Name:East Allington, St Andrew


Parish church, probably 13th century origins, enlarged in 14th century, enlarged again and remodelled in early 16th century.Restored in mid 19th century by William Cubitt and reopened in 1875.


Grid Reference:SX 769 483
Map Sheet:SX74NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishEast Allington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST ALLINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5178
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX74NE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (B): 99835

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIII to XIX - 1201 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV167518.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1964)318.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV167519.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV167520.

Adams, m. /dcnq/2(1902-1903)97/some notes on the brasses heraldry and monuments in east allington church.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV167521.

Thompson, a. H. /arch. J. /70(1913)472.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV167522.

Doe/hhr:kingsbridge rural district:east allington/(-/-/1960).

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326306.

Parish church of st. Andrew. Excellent 15th and early 16th century building. It consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, a tower at the west end, an octagonal stair turret outside the north wall and a south porch entered by a circular headed doorway. The height of both the outer and inner doorways of the porch point to the lowering of the floor level at some restoration or reconstruction of the porch. Church of st. Andrew. Mainly late medieval but drastically 'restored' in 1873 when roofs and most of the windows renewed. The screens and pulpit are interesting though the former have been much patched. The pulpit of devonian type is probably post medieval. The porch is externally continuous with the south aisle (doe).

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Parish church. Probably C13 origins, enlarged in C14, enlarged again and remodelled in early C16 and restored in mid C19 by William Cubitt and reopened in 1875. Dressed slate rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gable ends. Plan and development: The C13 church was probably only a nave and chancel which appear to have been enlarged in C14 by the addition of a north aisle and possibly the west tower, although the tower might have been largely rebuilt in the early C16 when the whole church was remodelled and enlarged with a south aisle and integral porch. The plan of the existing church comprises:- west tower, nave and chancel in one, 5-bay north and south aisles, almost the length of the nave and chancel, the north aisle 3 bays plus 2 chancel bays, the south aisle similar but its west bay occupied by an integral porch. There is a stair turret at the west end of the south aisle in the angle with the tower, which gives access to a chamber over the proch. The road stair turret is on the north side. The church was restored by William Cubitt reopened in 1875. Exterior: Chamfered plinth around the church. The south aisle has 4 C19 granite Perpendicular style 3-light windows, buttresses with set-offs between and a tall narrow round arch south porch doorway to left with a broad ovolo moulding. The inner doorway has a tall narrow chamfered round arch and late C19 door. Late C19 stair turret at the west end of south aisle in angle with tower. Early C20 priest's doorway in split buttress; to its right a slate monument to Dorothy Tawley died 1728. The north aisle has similar C19 Perpendicular style windows except for the centre window which is C16 and has 3 round-headed lights and a hoodmould with stops and the easternmost which is a Medieval Beerstone Perpendicular traceried window. Buttresses with set-offs between the windows and a large polygonal rood stair turret with battlements. Both the 3-light east windows of the aisles are Medieval and granite, that of the north aisle with panel tracery, the south aisle east window has simple tracery with round-headed lights. The chancel east window is a 4-light late C19 Perpendicular style replacement. Tall 3-stage west tower with set-back buttresses and embattled parapet on a corbel table. Off-centre on the north side is a polygonal stair turret with a tented stone dome and weathervane. Small round-headed bell-opening on each side with slate louvres. On the south side of C19 lights have been inserted at the ringing stage. Late C19 granite Perpendicular style west window of 3 lights and blocked west doorway below with chamfered slate 2- centred arch. Interior: Plastered walls, hollow chamfered rear arches. The tower has exposed masonry and a tall unmoulded 2-centred tower arch with chamfered imports. The original roofs were all replaced with unceiled waggon roofs with moulded ribs in late C19. The floors are paved in late C19 tiles. 5-bay north arcade, the 2 chancel bays have double chamfered 3-centred arches and granite monolith. A type piers with moulded caps and basin. The east respond is polygonal in dressed slate while the other north aisle piers are granite monolith octagonals with moulded bases and caps and have moulded granite 4-centred arches. The south arcade is similar but the all the piers are A-type granite except for the east respond which is semi-octagonal and the westermost bay is occupied by the integral south porch. Rood screen of arch 1547 across nave and aisles largely complete but canopy is missing; one of the bench ends fixed to the base is dated 1633. One bay of the south parclose screen survives. The north parclose is C20 but incorporates fragments of old tracery. The base and panels of the pulpit are C16 with Gothic foliage between the panels which have canopied niches - a Renaissance style frieze with a Jacobean billeted cornice. Cusped head piscina in east end of north aisle. Reredos of 1892 in carved alabaster. In 1908 sanctuary walls panelled in marble. The rest of the furnishings are late C19 including benches in nave and aisles, the choir stalls and the carved wooden eagle lecturn. The marble font is circa 1900. The organ of 1913 is American. Good series of wall monuments: Marble monument in chancel to Revd Nathaniel Wells d.1762, signed M Emes Exon and other Gothick monuments in chancel to members of the Wells family one signed Weeks. At the east end of south aisle an early C17 monument with kneeling figures in an aedicule and a brass to John Fortescue 1595 and wife and a fragment of a brass to right with one kneeling figure and tablet above dated 1572 with a shield. Also in the chancel south chapel a Fortescue wall monument of 1821 and 3 C17 local marble ledger stones to the Fortescues. There are two other C17 slate ledger stones in the south aisle and a Gothick wall monument to Fortescue Wells died 1861. Large classical marble wall monument to members of Fortescue family at west end of south aisle. In the chancel north chapel an unusual wall monument with a laurel wreath around a heart inscribed to memory of Elizabeth Wood and above an undated monument to members of the Scobell family of Nutcombe (probably late C18). Also in nouth chapel a slate plaque to Mary Pages died 1761 signed J. Doleman of Modbury. Stained glass: Most of the Windows have C19 plain glass with red borders but there is a small fragment of Medieval glass in one of the north chapel windows. The east and west windows have late C19 pictorial glass in memory of Mrs Fortescue and William Cubitt (1892) respectively. Memorial Window to Felix Calvert of Coombe in north aisle, 1936 by George Cooper Abbs. 6 bells, four of which were cast in 1723, one in 1861, and one in 1908. Sources: Beatrix F Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Woodleigh, 1923. Church Guide by J H Bloom, 1955.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV167518Migrated Record:
SDV167519Migrated Record:
SDV167520Migrated Record:
SDV167521Migrated Record:
SDV167522Migrated Record:
SDV326306Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #99726 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV90383Parent of: East Allington War Memorial Tablet, St Andrew's Church (Monument)
MDV80854Part of: Churchyard of St. Andrews Church, East Allington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 10:15AM