HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV72117
Name:Combeshead Farm, Luppitt

Summary

An almost complete group of early 19th century farm buildings, arranged around a yard entered from the road through an attractive wagon way.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 164 074
Map Sheet:ST10NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLuppitt
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLUPPITT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880s, Ordnance Survey (Cartographic). SDV848.

'Combeshead' is shown on OS 25" (1880s and 1906) maps as a group of long buildings around a roughly triangular yard. Other details: Also on OS 25" (1906) map.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 643 (Monograph). SDV1312.


English Heritage, 1988, Luppitt (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV324288.

Combeshead Farmhouse is mid 17C with late 18C - early 19C refurbishment and extensions. Plastered local stone rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with 19C and 20C brick; coated slate roof, formerly thatch, corrugated iron to rear outshot. Plan and development: 6-room plan farmhouse facing west and built across a gentle hillslope overlooking the farm courtyard. There is a small unheated room at the left (north) end. Alongside is a parlour with an axial stack backing onto the unheated end room. This parlour is separated from the former kitchen by a through-passage. The former kitchen has an axial stack backing onto another unheated room. This unheated room (now used as a kitchen) was probably a dairy or buttery originally. At the right (south) end there are 2 small unheated rooms which are not connected to the main house but each has its own external doorway. These have always been service rooms used as woodstore, cellar, workshop, toolstore and the like. These 2 service rooms and the unheated room the other end were added to the mid 17C 3 room-and-through-passage plan in the late 18C - early 19C. The farmhouse is 2 storeys with a 20C rear outshot. Exterior: irregular 5-window front of various 20C casements, the latest without glazing bars. There are now 4 front doorways. The passage front doorway is left of centre and contains a late 19C part-glazed 4-panel door behind a C20 porch with monopitch roof. Further right there is a secondary doorway into the present kitchen (the former dairy/buttery) which has a late 19C plank door behind another 20C porch. The 2 service rooms at the right end also have 19C plank doors. The roof is gable-end to right and hipped to left. Interior: is largely the result of the late 18C - early 19C refurbishment and later modernisations. Nevertheless the mid 17C house appears to be well-preserved. The rooms either side of the through-passage, the former kitchen and parlour, both have chamfered crossbeams and scroll stops. Both fireplaces are blocked but the former kitchen fireplace has its chamfered oak lintel exposed. The roof from end to end dates from the late 18C - early 19C; a series of A-frame trusses with pegged and spiked lap-jointed collars and X-apexes.


Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills, Plan and photos (Report - Survey). SDV344050.

Good example of a courtyard plan. The annotated plan shows a broadly triangular yard with the 17th century farmhouse on the south-west side. The other two sides of the yard comprise a 19th century stone-walled barn and outbuildings (B.A.R. 3.2.4.).


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH033 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

An almost complete group of early 19th century farm buildings, arranged around a yard entered from the road through an attractive wagonway. Built on gentle slope, which falls away steeply to south, outside yard. Planned courtyard. The yard is entered through a wagon way to the west, with the farmhouse opposite and two ranges to either side. The south range comprises a threshing barn and stable, and to the north an originally open-fronted cattle shed. The threshing barn range once continued further east and returned to the north to abut the farmhouse. There is a shippon slightly set back to the south west, adjoining another shippon, and a milking parlour, which form the southwest corner. The south and west ranges back onto the road. The plan is basically the same as that shown on the Tithe map. Modern farmyard surface.


Thorp, J., 2002, Combeshead Farm, BH033001-BH033011 (Ground Photograph). SDV351215.


Thorp, J., 2002, Combeshead Farm, BH03312-BH033022 (Un-published). SDV351216.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey, 102, Part 2: Gazetteer, Site No. 646 (Report - Survey). SDV101648.

The farm of Combeshead is first documented in 1767, and may therefore be of post-medieval origin. The farm lies just outside the western boundary of the survey area.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey, Site No. 646 (Archive - Survey). SDV358490.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003, East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey, Site No. 646 (Report - Survey). SDV359019.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV101648Report - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.26. A4 Unbound + Digital. 102, Part 2: Gazetteer, Site No. 646.
SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 643.
SDV324288List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 1988. Luppitt. Historic Houses Register.
SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. Plan and photos.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH033.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #99802 ]
SDV351215Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2002. Combeshead Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH033001-BH033011.
SDV351216Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2002. Combeshead Farm. Blackdown Hills Historic Farmstead Survey. Digital. BH03312-BH033022.
SDV358490Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey. East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey. Mixed Archive Material. Site No. 646.
SDV359019Report - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003. East Devon Heathlands Archaeological Survey. Exeter Archaeology Report. 03.26. Site No. 646.
SDV848Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey. 25".

Associated Monuments

MDV103869Parent of: Cattle Shed and WagonWay, Combeshead Farm, Luppitt (Building)
MDV103873Parent of: Cattlesheds, Combeshaye Farm, Luppitt (Building)
MDV82637Parent of: Combeshead Farmhouse, Luppitt (Building)
MDV103875Parent of: Open-Fronted Cattle Shed, Combeshead Farm (Building)
MDV103867Parent of: Stable, Combeshead Farm, Luppitt (Building)
MDV103866Parent of: Threshing Barn, Combeshead Farm, Luppitt (Building)
MDV4586Related to: Linhay at Combeshead Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3143 - East Devon heathlands archaeological survey
  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Feb 26 2016 2:14PM