HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV72164
Name:Former Garden of Loughrigg, East Street, South Molton

Summary

Site of former garden, shown on 1890s Ordnance Survey map, with formal paths, trees and greenhouses. The plot of land is called Archers Meadow on the Tithe map.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 716 260
Map Sheet:SS72NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouth Molton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH MOLTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GARDEN (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Formal gardens shown to the west and north west of the house, including an L-shaped building to the north of the house, several greenhouses and a flagstaff. Map object based on this Source.


Southwest Archaeology, 2005, Mole Valley Farmers Station Road South Molton Devon. Results of an Archaeological Assessment, 2.4 (Report - Assessment). SDV324477.

Small plot of ground, numbered 1114a on the Tithe map and named 'Archers Meadow', which was leased and occupied by Henry Baker. On the 1890 25" OS map the area is shown as a garden with formal paths, trees, greenhouses, an L-shaped stable block and a small building in the north east corner. At this time the garden was part of the curtilage of Loughrigg (PRN 72165). Only the greenhouses are shown on the 1904 25" OS map and a flagstaff (PRN 72166). The house was requisitioned during the Second World War and housed a Royal Engineers experimental training school (PRN 56296). By the 1960s the area had become occupied by a builder's yard, with buildings along the north and western boundaries, including a sawmill. Mole Valley Farmers moved onto the site in about 1964. Other details: Fig 5-8.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV324477Report - Assessment: Southwest Archaeology. 2005. Mole Valley Farmers Station Road South Molton Devon. Results of an Archaeological Assessment. Southwest Archaeology Report. 051114. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.4.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV72166Parent of: Flagstaff in Garden of Loughrigg (Monument)
MDV72165Related to: Loughrigg, East Street, South Molton (Building)
MDV56296Related to: Royal Engineers Experimental School (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV3275 - Mole Valley Farmers Station Road South Molton Devon. Results of an Archaeological Assessment

Date Last Edited:Feb 22 2013 4:22PM