HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7271
Name:South Pool, St Nicholas and St Cyriac's

Summary

Parish church, 15th century rebuild of early 14th century church, with some 16th century remodelling.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 776 403
Map Sheet:SX74SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouth Pool
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH POOL

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5195
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX74SE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (B): 100834

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIV to XVI - 1301 AD to 1600 AD (Between))

Full description

R.B.M., IN DCNQ, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141632.

Brief reference to the low side window in the church (r. B. M. , in dcnq).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141634.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)465.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141635.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)266-267.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141636.

Thompson, a. H. /arch. J. /70(1913)464-466,491-492/church architecture in devon.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141637.

Chanter, j. F. /tda/42(1910)490/christianity in devon before ad 909.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141638.

R. B. M. /dcnq/15(1928-1929)356/a low side window.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141639.

R. B. M. /dcnq/10 pt.1(1918-1919)127/low side windows in devon churches.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141640.

Doe/hhr:south pool/(-/-/1960).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141641.

Knight, d. /kingsbridge history society recorder/10(1993)5/halwell house, south pool/in smr.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141642.

Des=eames, k. /south pool, devon:an archaeological survey/(1989)52-3/in pf.


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326318.

Church of st. Nicholas and st. Cyriacus. Mainly late medieval but the east end of chancel, ends of transepts and porch are probably late c13. Tower has central south turret - a local feature. The porch is west of south aisle - another local characteristic. Granite monolithic arcades. Fine rood screen with arabesque decoration on the wainscot. Recessed tomb to thomas briant, rector c 1540 with sculpture panel of resurrection at back. Early c17 monument to leonard and joan darre (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

St. Nicholas and st. Cyriacus; parish church. Built entirely of local slate the tower being a notable example of building in this stone. Present fabric is mainly late 15th century, but the core of the church may be that of the building consecrated by bishop stapleton, in august 1318 (hoskins).


Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Parish church. C15 rebuild of early C14 church with some C16 remodelling slatestone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roofs. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles and transepts, west tower and south porch. The earliest fabric appears to be the south porch and adjoining section of nave wall. There was a general rebuild in the C15 when the tower, aisles and transepts were built although those on the north side may pre-date the south aisle and transept which have windows of the C16. This aisle is smaller than the north one because it stops short of the porch that obviously pre-dates it. C19 or early C20 vestry added to north of chancel. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with crocketted pinnacles and set-back buttresses. 5-sided stair turret on south side. 2-light cinquefoiled belfry openings. C15 south doorway of South Hams type with 4-centred arch and roll moulding. Granite 3-light Perpendicular window above. North aisle and transept have similar windows. Leanto vestry against north chancel wall. East chancel window is a complete restoration in the Decorated style. On the south side of the chancel is a C15 2-light mullion window with cinquefoiled heads. The windows to south aisle and transept are of the late debased Perpendicular style. Segmental headed granite priest's door, shallow rectangular stair projection adjoining it. At the west end of the nave, beyond the porch is a tall narrow light with cinquefoiled head. Large gabled porch has plain rubble doorway with 4-centred head and projecting imposts. Interior: blocked square granite-framed light in side wall of porch, new overlapped by south aisle. Holy water stoup with pointed arch. Possibly original south doorway of chamfered dressed stones with 2-centred arch. Probably C17 studded plank door with moulded cover strips and fleur-de-lys strap hinges. Internal walls of the church are plastered apart from the tower wall. 4-bay north arcade and 3-bay south arcade, both of granite with Pevsner A-type piers, moulded cup capitals and depressed 4-centred arches. Similar arches to both transepts on moulded stone corbels. The tall tower arch has a double chamfered arch and 5-sided jamb to either side with projecting imposts. Late medieval wagon roofs to aisles and north transept with moulded ribs and carved wall-plate and bosses. The wagon roof over the nave has been renewed and the south transept and chancel have a plain plastered roof. Good C15 rood screen restored in 1952 when coving was renewed to the outer sections although missing at the centre. The original colour survives on the central part but the painted renaissance arabesque decoration to the panels was probably done in the C16. The parclose screens, although restored, are well preserved. Good recessed C16 tomb on north wall of chancel with carved canopy above and panel of resurrection behind the tomb chest. Latin inscription to Thomas Bryant, Rector of South Pool and East Portlemouth, who died circa 1540. In the south chapel is a large alabaster memorial to Leonard Darre and his wife Joan, who died in 1615 and 1608, and are depicted kneeling with their 2 sons and 3 daughters behind them. Either side of them is a Corinthian pillar supporting a flat canopy. C12 tub font on short stem has crude carved decoration.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV141632Migrated Record: R.B.M., IN DCNQ.
SDV141634Migrated Record:
SDV141635Migrated Record:
SDV141636Migrated Record:
SDV141637Migrated Record:
SDV141638Migrated Record:
SDV141639Migrated Record:
SDV141640Migrated Record:
SDV141641Migrated Record:
SDV141642Migrated Record:
SDV326318Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #100136 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 8 2017 10:45AM