HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV72776
Name:Buildings to south of Abbotsham Road, Bideford

Summary

Two buildings shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map may now be incorporated into the present buildings on the site.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 440 265
Map Sheet:SS42NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Museum of Barnstaple & North Devon Accession Number: 2011.389

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (XIX to XX - 1850 AD to 1932 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Ordnance Survey, 1930 - 1939, Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV336668.


Exeter Archaeology, 2006, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed College Sites in Bideford, 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV336652.

The 1889 Ordnance Survey map shows two buildings forming an L-shape on the site of the present buildings. By 1904, a further structure had been added forming an overall U-shaped plan, which is also shown on the 1932 Ordnance Survey map. The present buildings may incorporate the two earlier structures, although the proportions suggest they may have been altered.


Exeter Archaeology, 2007, Archaeological Assessment of Land at Grenville College (Moreton House), Bideford, 5 (Report - Assessment). SDV338362.

Three single storey structures arranged around three sides of a small concrete yard. They appear to have been built in the second half of the 19th century, and may have originally been field barns and/or stock sheds. Those on the north and east sides of the yard appear to have once been open-fronted, the gaps between the vertical posts having been infilled with concrete blocks. The remaining walls are of stone rubble. Both buildings have pitched roofs; the west part of the northern roof is tiled, whereas the eastern part, and the roof of the east building is corrugated asbestos.
By 1904 a further structure had been added to the west. Part of the present western structure may represent the building shown on the 1904 and 1932 maps, as the western wall contains some rubble stone. It has been altered or partially rebuilt with concrete block. On its eastern side, the northern part oof the structure is open to the yard, whereas the southern part is enclosed by double plywood doors. It has a sloping roof of corrugated iron.


O'Reilly, J. M., 2011, Agricultural Buildings at Moreton Park, Bideford, Devon, 18 (Report - non-specific). SDV349163.

Three single storey agricultural buildings, forming the west, north and eastern ranges around an open concrete yard, were recorded prior to their loss during the development of the site at Moreton Park. They were constructed mainly of coursed rubble with timber and concrete blocks towards the yard. The roofing was a mixture of tile and corrugated asbestos sheet. The interiors were only minimally visible and appeared not to retain any surviving fixed features or historical items. The buildings are typical of many simple agricultural buildings and probably date to the 19th and 20th centuries. They were originally open sided and probably used as field barns or animal shelter. Later the function appears to have changed to general agricultural, and perhaps vehicular storage, and the open sides of the sheds were enclosed and new doors hung. See report for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336652Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2006. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed College Sites in Bideford. Exeter Archaeology Report. 06.30. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7.
SDV336668Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1930 - 1939. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338362Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2007. Archaeological Assessment of Land at Grenville College (Moreton House), Bideford. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.22. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #100196 ]
SDV349163Report - non-specific: O'Reilly, J. M.. 2011. Agricultural Buildings at Moreton Park, Bideford, Devon. CgMs Consulting Report. JO/13155. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. 18.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4047 - Archaeological Assessment of Proposed College Sites in Bideford
  • EDV4274 - Archaeological Assessment at Grenville College

Date Last Edited:Jun 11 2013 10:35AM