HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV72855
Name:Buildings at the south end of the Tavistock Canal Tunnel


Site of two buildings shown on 19th maps to the east of the eastern end of the Tavistock Canal tunnel. Constructed early in the construction phase, they included a blacksmith's shop, with cottage and stables shown on the 1867 Estate Map.


Grid Reference:SX 448 702
Map Sheet:SX47SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Constructed, XIX - 1801 AD to 1811 AD (Between))
  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Constructed, XIX - 1801 AD to 1811 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (Constructed, XIX - 1801 AD to 1811 AD (Between))

Full description

Hedges, C., 1975, The Tavistock Canal. A Short History (Monograph). SDV361772.

Buck, C., 2005, Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment, 46 (Report - Assessment). SDV336659.

Remains of two buildings (Site 60 & 60.1) which may be those associated with the Tavistock Canal (see PRN 3879) that were described in 1811 as a smithy, stable & cottage with a wharf fronting them. It may have been the service yard for tunnel boring operations at the south end of the tunnel (see PRN 3882) where work was carried on from c1805-1816. It remained as a cottage with outhouses for canal workers until 1873 & may have stabled the horses needed to pull the barges along the final length of the Tavistock Canal. The survey in 2005 found a small section of the north wall 4 meters long x 0.9 meters high remaining of Site 60 at SX4482570309. There was no evidence of Site 60.1 at SX4486270290.

Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 44, 187, Fig 3.4, 6.41 (Monograph). SDV361789.

Construction on the canal in 1803 necessitated the early construction of a permanent black smith's shop at the southern end of the Morwelldown tunnel; a temporary smith’s shop was also built at the north end. This is noted in the 1811 inventory (it cost £14 15s to construct) and it continued to be used for the life of the canal, appearing on the 1867 Estate Map with an adjoining cottage and stable (see Fig 3.4).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336659Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2005. Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R0004. A4 Stapled + Digital. 46.
SDV361772Monograph: Hedges, C.. 1975. The Tavistock Canal. A Short History. The Tavistock Canal. A5 Paperback.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 44, 187, Fig 3.4, 6.41.

Associated Monuments

MDV72844Related to: Devon Great Consols Railway, Inclined Plane (Monument)
MDV123337Related to: Estate Cottages, Morwell Down (Building)
MDV3882Related to: Southern Portal to Tavistock Canal Tunnel (Building)
MDV3879Related to: Tavistock Canal, Western Section (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4040 - Wheal Russell Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment

Date Last Edited:Nov 8 2018 2:24PM