HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV7291
Name:St Mary's Parish Church, North Huish


Parish church dating largely early 14th century but probably with earlier fabric, a 15th century south aisle and south porch, and a vestry dating to circa 1840 vestry. The church was restored in 1871 and 1884-5. The dedication to St. Mary may not be authentic.


Grid Reference:SX 711 565
Map Sheet:SX75NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Huish
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH HUISH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 15890
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX75NW/2
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 101391

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (XIV to XIX - 1301 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Council for the Care of Churches, North Huish St. Mary the Virgin (Report - non-specific). SDV345309.

St. Mary's Church became redundant with effect from 1st March 1993. The Advisory Board's preliminary advice in 1992 was that the church was suitable for conversion to alternative use. A proposal for residential conversion in 1996, however, was refused planning permission. In December 1996, due to the worsening condition of the building, the Redundant Churches Committee saw no merit in further marketing and approved vesting in the Council for the Care of Churches. Repairs now [date unknown] in hand with aid of a grant from English Heritage.
An attached appendix gives details of the church including a general description and a listing of furnishing and fittings.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141385.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1954)413.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141386.

Slater, t. R. /tda/123(1991)controlling the south hams:the anglo-saxon burh at halwell.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV141388.

Doe/hhr:north huish.

Council for the Care of Churches, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV161033.

Mainly 15c, restored 1845, 1871 and 1884-5 (at a cost of 600 pounds sterling). N vestry is late georgian. In the late 1950s it was derelict, and threatened with demolition in 1953. Since then the s arcade has been stabilised, and in 1982-4 the s aisle screened off to form a meeting house. Walls of shale and granite. Most window tracery renewed in bath stone in 19c. Form is characteristic of devon with long low name and chancel under almost unbroken roof, flanked to s by a long aisle embracing part of chancel as well as nave.1989 inspection revealed poor condition of rendering and interior damp and mould. Recommended for redundancy, 1992 (ccc).

Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326325.

Parish church, the dedication to st. Mary may not be authentic. Largely early c14, probably with earlier fabric, c15 south aisle and south porch, circa 1840 vestry, restored in 1871 and 1884-5. Local stone rubble of mainly slate rubble with granite dressings. The west lower, north side of the nave and the chancel have remains of old render and the south side of the top stages of the tower are slate hung. In the c20 the south side of the lower stages of the tower and the west end of the south aisle were rendered. Slate roofs with lead rolls to the ridges. Plan and development: reconstruction of the church was dedicated in 1336 by bishop grandisson. C14 church comprised a nave, chancel, north transept and a west tower with a spire. The south doorway is also c14 but was probably moved from the nave when the south aisle was added in the c15. The south porch, may be coeval with the aisle or possibly a later c15 addition. In circa 1840 a vestry was added and in 1846 the east window was renewed. The church was restored in 1871 and in 1884-5. In the late c20 partitions were inserted into the arcade to convert the south aisle into a parish room. Exterior: the north side of the nave has 2 late c19 windows. The north transept has a circa c16 window. Slightly battered west tower in 2 stages has butresses rising to belfry floor level. A polygonal stair turret on the north side of the tower rises to the ringing stage only and has a slate weathered roof and small window slits. The tower has an embattled parapet; the octagonal spire is integral. Lancets on each side of the belfry and the south side of the ringing stage below, a granite c15 or early c16 perpendicular west window over a small west doorway. The chancel has a slightly lower roof than the nave a 19c east window, a small blocked priest's doorway on the south side is in a blocked original window opening. The north wall of the chancel is concealed by a 19c vestry which has a brick stack and a c19 window. In the gable above the doorway is an elaborately shaped slate sundial dated 1686. The porch has its original wagon roof with roll moulded ribs. The inner south doorway has a c14 2-centred arch frame. The door is circa mid c19. Interior: the walls have old plaster but the south aisle walls have been cement rendered. The floors are slate. There are c16 wagon roofs over the nave, transept and south aisle the wagon roof over the chancel may conceal an earlier roof structure above. Furnishings: the stone reredos is supposed to be c19 or is it a reused c16 tomb? the south parclose screen is in situ in the east bay of the arcade painted and may have early colour underneath. The tower arch has an early c20 boarded and glazed partition. The nave benches and choir stalls with poppyheads are all late c19 and complete, but the aisle benches have been removed. The late c19 polygonal wooden pulpit is probably contemporary; it has pierced gothic panels and has been moved to the transept. The wrought iron altar rail and wrought iron and brass lecturn are late c19. In the vestry the stairs to its higher floor level have a turned balustrade and there is a circa 1840 chimneypiece and safe (doe).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV335.

Parish church thought to be dedicated to st. Mary. Dedicated by bishop grandisson on 15th june, 1336. Like diptford it has a medieval spire, the body of which church is probably early 14th century and enlarged in the 15th century by the addition of a south aisle. The granite font is dated 1662 (hoskins).

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV141385Migrated Record:
SDV141386Migrated Record:
SDV141388Migrated Record:
SDV161033Migrated Record: Council for the Care of Churches.
SDV326325Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV335Migrated Record:
SDV345309Report - non-specific: Council for the Care of Churches. North Huish St. Mary the Virgin. A4 Stapled.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #100309 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV43517Parent of: Commemorative Monuments in St. Mary's Church North Huish (Monument)
MDV43532Parent of: Cornish family memorials in St Mary's Church, North Huish (Monument)
MDV43514Parent of: FINDSPOT in the Parish of North Huish (Building)
MDV43515Parent of: FINDSPOT in the Parish of North Huish (Building)
MDV7295Parent of: FINDSPOT in the Parish of North Huish (Find Spot)
MDV43513Parent of: FONT in the Parish of North Huish (Building)
MDV106900Parent of: North Huish World War I Memorial Tablet, St Mary's Church (Monument)
MDV7293Parent of: ROOD SCREEN in the Parish of North Huish (Building)
MDV7294Parent of: Sundial on St. Mary's Church, North Huish (Monument)
MDV43516Related to: COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT in the Parish of North Huish (Monument)
MDV7292Related to: Cross within Lych Gate at St. Mary's Church, North Huish (Building)
MDV91030Related to: Lych Gate at St. Mary's Church, North Huish (Building)
MDV7297Related to: St Mary's Parish Church, Diptford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 26 2020 8:53AM