HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV7312


Part of a large country house much of which has been demolished. Built in 1790 for Thomas or his brother Walter Palk, possible with additions of circa 1810


Grid Reference:SX 707 561
Map Sheet:SX75NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Huish
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH HUISH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX75NW/17

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTRY HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178325.

Butterford site of mansion. Mansion by the palks about 1790.

MIN.OF HOUSING, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV178326.

Vis=estimated -/-/1955 (min. Of housing) only part of the house remains built round a court and of 16th. Century origin but largely rebuilt in the 18th. Century.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178328.

Hoskins, w. G. /devon/(1964)413.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178329.

Des=ministry of housing and local government provisional list, totnes r. D. / (july 1956)413.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178330.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178331.

Reichel, o. J. /hundreds of devon/(1928-1938)128,296,307-309,331/the hundred of ermington in early times.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV242.

Vis=6/12/1961 (os) the existing building presents an 18th. Century appearance and the north-eastern half of the house has been demolished since 1960. Butterford was botrefarda in domesday. The manor was held by torgis, or torgic, of judhel of totnes. Early descents given.(reichel).

Waterhouse, R., 2007, Butterford House, North Huish: An Archaeological Appraisal (Report - Assessment). SDV355275.

The partial remains of Butterford House stand on a level platform on the north-west side of a narrow valley, 560 metres south-west of North Huish church. On the site of a Domesday Manor, the present structure which incorporates parts of an earlier 18th century building, comprises the truncated south-west end of a three-storey Georgian mansion of c.1792, with a small courtyard of lower, two storey service buildings to its rear. These are of two phases, the earliest being of c.1792, with alterations and extensions of c.1810-25. See report for full details.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Part of a large country house much of which has been demolished. Built in 1790 for Thomas or his brother Walter Palk, possible with additions of circa 1810. Rendered stone with limestone rusticated quoins and plinth; former service wing is slate hung. Slate roofs with gabled ends and with lead rolls to the ridge; service wing has slightly lower level roof with hipped end and clad in asbestos slates. Rendered axial stacks. Plan: The old house was demolished in 1788 and rebuilt in circa 1790. It was 3 storeys with a 2:3:2 bay south east front, the pedimented slightly advanced centre 3 bays with rusticated quoins. The right and left hand 2 bays continued at the rear as service wings and returned at the back to form a courtyard with a carriageway through the right hand range. Some of the ranges at the back may have been added in 1810. In the 1930s most of the house was demolished except for the left hand 2 bays and the left hand wing behind with its returned range at the back which is linked to the surviving rear end of the right hand service wing with a carriageway through. The principal front of the existing house is the left hand (south west) return of the original house. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 4 window range except that the doorway is to the left of centre with a Tuscan porch with a heavy entablature and half glazed door. The 2 first floor windows to the right and to the right of centre and the ground floor window to the right are blind; the others are large C10 12-pane sashes, the first floor left is a C20 casement. They are the original window openings and this range has limestone cills, rusticated quoins and plinth which also survives on the right hand end which is the remaining 2 left hand bays of the original front, where the windows are 12-pane sashes, the first floor right is C20. To the left of present front (side of the original house) the slate hung service wing is slightly set back and has lower eaves with moulded cast iron gutter with lion mask joints; asymmetrical 4 window range of 12-pane sashes on first floor (left hand replaced by C20 casement) and 2-light 8-pane sashes on ground floor. The back of the main range is now slate hung and the service wing is whitewashed stone rubble with 12-pane sashes. The back of the right hand wing to the north east is now almost detached; it has a segmentally arched carriageway through, 2 storeys, 3 window range, small openings with flat slate arches; to the left of the carriageway the end wall of the demolished. Right hand wing survives with its rusticated quoins. Interior: In the remaining part of the main range the principal room has only a section of its moulded plaster cornice because most of the wall and ceiling plaster has been removed after dry rot was discovered. There is a Devonian marble chimneypiece in this room with bolection moulding, probably late C19. The room to the north of the passage has a white marble chimneypiece of circa 1830 and a moulded ceiling cornice of the same date. Some of the late C18 panelled doors survive. Set of servants bells in the passage. Botiford, a Saxon estate was referred to in the Domesday Book. "Botesford was the dwelling of Philip Boterford in Edward I reight" (Risdon 1605-30). It belonged to the May and Gibbs families until Elizabeth I. In 1788 Richard Stade of Newnham sold it to Thomas Palk who demolished the old house and sold it to his brother Walker Palk of Morley. It is uncertain which of the Polks rebuilt the house in circa 1790. Historic information provided by the owner

Sources / Further Reading

SDV178325Migrated Record:
SDV178326Report - Survey: MIN.OF HOUSING.
SDV178328Migrated Record:
SDV178329Migrated Record:
SDV178330Migrated Record:
SDV178331Migrated Record:
SDV242Migrated Record:
SDV355275Report - Assessment: Waterhouse, R.. 2007. Butterford House, North Huish: An Archaeological Appraisal. Digital.
SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #100494 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV93368Related to: Farm Buildings, Butterford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Mar 12 2015 12:08PM