HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7313
Name:Stert

Summary

House, early to mid 18th century, possibly with earlier origins, rearranged internally and extended at the rear in the early 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 746 570
Map Sheet:SX75NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDiptford
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishDIPTFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX75NW/18

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV178337.

Osa=sx75nw8.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, Untitled Source (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV24.

Stert. Remains of barton. Has probable 17th century core or earlier, but the house was refashioned in the early 19th. Century. Vis=6/12/1961 (os) the house is of no architectural interest and there are no identifiable remains of an earlier building. The chapel formed an addition to the west end of the building but was demolished three years ago.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

House. Early to mid C18, possibly earlier origins, rearranged internally and extended at rear in the early C19. Local slate rubble; slate hung at rear. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends over rear addition. Front range has gable end stacks with later red brick shafts. Large stone axial stack over back range. Plan: The C18 house was the front (north) range of 2-room plan with a moderately wide central entrance hall containing the stairs. The 2 rooms are the principal rooms and it seems likely that there was also a service wing at the black. This may have been the rear left room which would have been incorporated into the parallel range at the back of the house in the early C19 to form a double depth plan. Alternatively the whole of the back range may be early C19 replacing C18 service rooms. The room use at the back in the early C19 was probably the servants hall at the left (probably former kitchen), kitchen at the centre and pantry at the right at the back. The early C19 remodelling also involved alterations to the front range including refenestration an early C19 geometric staircase in the entrance hall and early C19 joinery on the ground floor but the first floor joinery is C18. There was a non-conformist chapel at the right hand end of the house, which was demolished in mid C20; it was described on the former list as being C18 and disused and having a moulded plaster ceiling. Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-window range front with plain stone string course at first floor level and moulded stone eaves cornice. On the ground and first floors to right and left symmetrical diagonal early C19 tripartite sashes with 9-pane centre light and 3-pane side lights. To the left of centre on first floor an early C19 9-pane sash. The ground floor windows have flat slate arches the first floor have wooden lintels clad in slate, all have thin slate cills. The doorway to left of centre has an early C19 6-panel door, bottom panels flush, top panels glazed and with C20 slate stone gabled porch. The left hand side of the house is rendered and has an early C19 tripartite sash with glazing bars in the rear wing. the right hand gable end is partly hung in asbestos slates. The back range is slate hung in natural slate above the ground floor window cill level. The rear elevation is slightly asymmetrical 3-window range with 3-light casements, the centre ground floor and the left hand first floor are C20, to the right hand first floor and the left hand first floor are C20, to the right hand first floor an early C19 16-pane sash, ground floor left a C20 glazed door. to the right of centre and early c19 large stone rubble porch with a hipped slate roof and side entrance. Interior: in the central entrance hall a small wooden early C19 geometric staircase with square stuck balusters column newels, wreathed handrail and open string with shaped tread ends. The font left hand room has an early C19 Devonian limestone (marble) chimneypiece, C18 moulded plaster ceiling cornice and an elliptical arch recess on the rear wall containing a doorway. The front right hand room has a C19 moulded ceiling cornice but the chimneypiece has been removed. The ground floor has all its early C19 intact including 6-panel doors with moulded panels. The first floor has fielded 6-panel doors to the main rooms and fielded 2-panel doors to the servants chambers. One of the rear first floor rooms has an early C19 reeded chimney piece with an iron grate. The dog-leg back stairs has stuck balusters and column newels. Roof: over the front north range the collars are halved land pegged to the faces of straight rafters which are lapped and pegged at the apex. Historical Note: Stert was the property of the Heles until 1835. (Buildings of England)

Sources / Further Reading

SDV178337Migrated Record:
SDV24Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #100504 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 4 2013 2:22PM