HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7361
Name:St. Disen's Hall, Bradninch

Summary

St. Disen's Hall was built as a Sunday School in 1838. Of volcanic trap under a gabled-ended slate roof. Single storey extension added in 1908. Important feature of interior is the early 20th century coloured glass by Morris and Wilfred Drake.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 999 040
Map Sheet:SS90SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBradninch
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRADNINCH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS90SE/25/3
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Adams, J. S. A. M. + Windeatt, E. + Tapley-Soper, H., 1910 - 1911, The New Parish Room, Bradninch, 33-38 (Article in Serial). SDV337717.

The Parish Room, Bradninch, has been arranged to be a permanent record of local history. It was restored and reopened in October, 1908, under the name of St. Disen's Hall.


Department of Environment, 1986, Bradninch (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV337715.

St Disen's Hall. Parish hall, built as a Sunday School. 1838, with a rear, single-storeyed extension (to Chapel Street) called 'Strong's Room', 1908. Good quality snecked volcanic trap ashlar under gabled-end slate roof. Main hall of two storeys. The hall occupies a corner site; the single-bay front to Fore Street with coped gable, the gable wall containing a shield with faded inscription; rusticated quoins; two-light first-floor square-headed window with stone jambs and mullion; ground-floor window similar but with a transom in addition. Church Street elevation: main hall of three bays; two-light windows above are identical to first floor window to front; two two-light windows below with transom to the right of a segmentally-headed arched doorway with moulded surround in Ham Hill stone, under square-headed hood mould with stops. Above the door the words 'SAINT DISEN'S SUNDAY SCHOOL'. Strong's Room with one entrance, one three-light and two two-light windows with stone jambs and mullions.
Interior: Main hall with stage, the proscenium arch supported by two Ionic fluted pilasters; wooden gallery of 1908 : 20th century false ceiling. The most important feature of the interior is the early 20th century coloured glass (undated) by Morris and Wilfred Drake; three roundels per light with a variety of heraldic motifs commemorating families connected with Bradninch; one roundel is an interesting piece of fake 17th century work which contains the names of the makers and donor (Rev. Charles Croslegh). The Strong Room contains a three-light window (possibly by the Drake firm) representing scenes from the history of the ancient borough of Bradninch. St Disen's Hall stands at the end of a long row of houses and is an important element in this group. Other details: LBS 95217.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV337715List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. Bradninch. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV337717Article in Serial: Adams, J. S. A. M. + Windeatt, E. + Tapley-Soper, H.. 1910 - 1911. The New Parish Room, Bradninch. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. 6. Unknown. 33-38.

Associated Monuments

MDV1589Related to: COMMEMORATIVE STONE in the Parish of Bradninch (Monument)
MDV1314Related to: Cross south of St Disen's Parish Church , Bradninch (Building)
MDV35722Related to: GATE in the Parish of Bradninch (Building)
MDV1315Related to: Rood Screen in St. Disen's Church Bradninch (Building)
MDV1588Related to: Sainthill Monument (Find Spot)
MDV1313Related to: St. Disen's Church, Bradninch (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 12 2011 11:39AM