HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV7366
Name:Gatehouse and Stables at Widhayes Farm, Uplowman


Gatehouse dating to the early 17th century; a small early 17th century door survives on the inside of the carriageway. Adjoining the gatehouse is a stable block. This was also originally built in the 17th century but was rebuilt in the 19th century. The small bridge over the stream in front of the gateway was built in the mid 18th century.


Grid Reference:ST 003 145
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishUplowman
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUPLOWMAN

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: ST01SW/18/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • GATEHOUSE (Built, XVII - 1601 AD to 1700 AD (Between))
  • STABLE (Built, XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

DOE/MHLG, Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV38710.

Vis=est=-/-/1954 (doe/mhlg) gatehouse is in range of outbuildings at widhayes. Round-headed arch with studded door. Incorporates a dovecote. Late 16th century or later.

DOE 1998, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38711.

Gatehouse with bridge + stable block adjoining w of widhayes farmhouse. See doe for details (doe 1998).

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38712.

Pevsner, n. /buildings of england: north devon/(1952)157.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38713.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38714.

Doe/hhr:tiverton rd/(1959)39.

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV38715.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV177625.

Gatehouse at widhayes farm.17th century with original studded door. Approached by bridge over stream that follows north wall of farmhouse and courtyard. Bridge leads to central door sufficient for pedestrian access (pevsner).

Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1325910 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Gatehouse with bridge and stable block adjoining west of Widhayes Farmhouse. Gatehouse and stable block. Early Cl7, bridge added in mid C18, refurbished in the late C19. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings; gateway is red sandstone conglomerate rubble with purple-coloured volcanic ashlar detail; slate roof, probably thatch before the C19. Plan: gate house and stable block under the same roof. The building is alongside the lane on a roughly east-west axis with the gatehouse to east between the kitchen wing of the farmhouse and the stable block. The gatehouse faces north onto the lane and the stable block faces south onto the farmyard. The gatehouse has a room over the carriageway although this appears to be secondary; originally it was only a gateway. The stables have a hayloft over and was substantially rebuilt in the C19. In the mid C18 a stream was made to run along the outside of the farmhouse and farmyard and a small bridge was built across it from the lane to the gateway. Exterior: the gatehouse has a most impressive early Cl7 front. It contains a large round-headed arch with moulded surround and hoodmould. Above it is a stone plaque with moulded frame. Any inscription on it has since worn off. It is gabled with ashlar coping. The gateway still contains the original oak door; a fine piece of craftsmanship. It contains a central round-headed wicket door. For the most part it is decorated with rows of regular studded rusticated oak blocks with chamfered edges. The main door has a shell head and the head of the wicket has a lozenge- shaped plaque in its head. It is complete with original wrought-iron fittings. In front is the bridge over the stream; a small segmental arch with plain parapet each side and pitched cobble floor. The lane side of the stable block is blind. The farmyard front has 2 double doorways each with a casement window with glazing bars alongside to right. At hayloft level there are 3 more casements and a loading hatch. Under the eaves are 2 rows of pigeon holes above a slate ledge. These are carried round the left (west) end under the eaves of the hipped roof. On the inside of the carriageway there is a small early Cl7 studded oak door. Interior: the stables has plain C19 crossbeams and queen strut truss roof. The C19 stalls still survive. This is an attractive building. The gateway with its original door is a remarkable survival. Tne owner possesses a good set of documents relating to the farmhouse including the bill for the erection of the bridge.
Date first listed: 5th April 1966

Sources / Further Reading

SDV177625Migrated Record:
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1325910.
SDV38710Report - Survey: DOE/MHLG.
SDV38711Migrated Record: DOE 1998.
SDV38712Migrated Record:
SDV38713Migrated Record:
SDV38714Migrated Record:
SDV38715Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Mar 28 2018 10:20AM