HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV73666
Name:War Memorial, Church Street, Combe Martin

Summary

War memorial erected in 1921. Of light grey granite with bronze plaques. Square stepped base with tapering square plinth, square shaft topped with wheel-headed cross. Set within walled memorial garden with wrought iron gates.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 586 462
Map Sheet:SS54NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCombe Martin
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCOMBE MARTIN

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to XXI - 1914 AD to 2005 AD (Between))

Full description

Bluesky, 2006 - 2007, Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007 (Aerial Photograph). SDV341189.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2007, Combe Martin (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338473.

War memorial, 1921 by William C. Williams and Co., constructed of light grey granite with bronze relief plaques. It has a rusticated square stepped base with a tapering square plinth, rising to square shaft, topped by a wheel-headed cross. The whole is set within a walled memorial garden. A plaque on the east face of the plinth bears the text: 'To the honoured memory of/the men of this parish/who gave their lives for their country/in the Great War 1914-1919 (35 names)/they died that we might live'. A further bronze plaque on the steps records the names of the fallen of WWII as follows: 'Also to the honoured memory of the men of this parish/who gave their lives for their country in the World War 1939-1945' (24 names). This memorial is set within a walled memorial garden with wrougt iron gates.
The war memorial was erected in 1921 and unveiled by the Bishop of Exeter. The plaque was added in the late 1940s commemorating those fallen in WW11. War memorials are valued because of their continued relevance to society, acting both as a focal point for formal memorial services and providing a poignant reminder of the human cost of recent conflict. This example in Combe Martin is associated with other listed memorials and buildings and its composition although simple, is elegant and well handled.

English Heritage, 2007, War Memorial, Church Street, Combe Martin (Correspondence). SDV338472.

Notification of inclusion of the War Memorial, Church Street, Combe Martin in the listing of buildings of special architectural or historic interest due to the following reasons. War memorials are valued because of their continued relevance to society, acting both as a focal point for formal memorial services and providing a poignant reminder of the human cost of recent conflict. This example in Combe Martin is associated with other listed memorials and bulidings and its composition although simple, is elegant and well handled.

War Memorials Trust, 2013, Untitled Source, WM1598; Photo (Website). SDV351942.

Thewar memorial is a Celtic cross of dressed grey Cornish granite on a plinth and a three-stepped base. There is an Art Nouveau cast bronze plaque on the front face of the plinth commemorating the fallen of World War One and another bronze plaque on the riser of the top step commemorating the fallen of World War Two. The memorial stands in its own garden, with a stone wall and wrought iron gate, beside the graveyard of St. Peter ad Vincula. It is surrounded by a flowerbed and a path leads up to it and around it. A seat stands beside the path. The memorial is 4.73m high.
In 2005, War Memorials Trust gave £500 towards work to replace and widen the path, replace the step up from the lane into the memorial garden with a ramp, to repair the wall surrounding the memorial garden and to re-point the memorial.

'To the honoured memory of
the men of this parish
who gave their lives for their country
in the great war 1914 – 1919
"They died that we might live"'

And on the World War II plaque

'Also to the honoured memory of the men of this parish
who gave their lives for their country in the world war 1939 – 1945'

The names of all the fallen are inscribed on the plaques.
The memorial was commissioned by the Combe Martin war memorial committee which was set up following a public meeting in February 1919. Money was raised by concerts and public subscriptions, as well as by a donation at the winding up of the Combe Martin Friendly Society, and was built on land donated by the Misses Toms, daughters of the late rector. It was designed and erected by William C. Willis and unveiled and dedicated in May1921 by the Bishop of Exeter.

Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials, Photo (Website). SDV351333.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338472Correspondence: English Heritage. 2007. War Memorial, Church Street, Combe Martin. Notification of Listing of Building of Special Architectural or Historic In. Letter.
SDV338473List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2007. Combe Martin. Historic Houses Register. A4 Stapled.
SDV341189Aerial Photograph: Bluesky. 2006 - 2007. Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007. Bluesky. Photograph (Digital). [Mapped feature: #101003 ]
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. Photo.
SDV351942Website: War Memorials Trust. 2013. http://www.learnaboutwarmemorials.org. Website. WM1598; Photo.

Associated Monuments

MDV126779Related to: Combe Martin Pound (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 31 2019 12:10PM