HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7386
Name:Yennadon Cross, Walkhampton

Summary

Late medieval wayside cross, set on rough ground on the east side of a crossroads where minor but ancient roads join the B3212 road from Yelverton to Princetown. Cross was erected here in 1974 having been moved from a gateway in a hedge one kilometre to the west, opposite Mid Tors, and bordering the east side of the road leading from Dousland to Walkhampton, where it was in use upside-down as a gatepost, and where it had first been recorded in about 1900. The cross is a single piece of granite, forming a shaft and head, with arms aligned due north-south, though the southern arm is broken off. No socket stone is visible. The total height of the cross is 1.17 metres.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 545 694
Map Sheet:SX56NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWalkhampton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWALKHAMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • National Monuments Record: SX 56 NW 44
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX56NW/50
  • Old SAM Ref: 24817

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAYSIDE CROSS (Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Burnard, R. + Prowse, A. B., 1893, Place-names, 509 (Article in Serial). SDV279490.


Crossing, W., 1902, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor, 173 (Monograph). SDV178385.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1979, Supplementary notes on the ancient stone crosses of Devon, 143 (Article in Serial). SDV240506.

Cross from Burnham Farm at SX539695 re-erected in 1974 on the main road. Masson Phillips states that this is the cross "described by Crossing." A simple Latin cross with incised cross. One arm is missing.


Starkey, F. H., 1983, Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks, 46 (Monograph). SDV345128.


Department of Environment, 1988, Walkhampton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV11886.

Wayside Cross. Medieval, re-sited in 1974. Small granite Latin cross with hollow-chamfered edges and incised cross on its face. Its right-hand arm has been destroyed and it has holes from where it once hung on a gate. Prior to 1974 this cross was built in a wall at nearby Burnham Farm. It is possible however that it has been returned to approximately its original position on Yennadon Down as the foundation deed of Buckland Abbey, dated 1280, refers to 'Yanedone Cross' as a boundary mark.


Turton, S. D., 1993, Archaeological Assessment of SWW Dousland to Rundlestone Water Main, 3 (Report - Assessment). SDV249910.


Ancient Monuments, 1993, Yennadon Cross (Schedule Document). SDV279478.

Yennadon Cross. Late medieval wayside cross of relatively fine-grained granite. Single piece of stone, forming shaft and head, with arms aligned north-south, though southern arm is missing. No socket stone is visible. Total height 1.17 metres. Shaft very neat and well-dressed, and roughly rectangular in section, 0.26 metres by 0.23 metres. A 35 millimetres rebate extends around edge of east and west faces of shaft, as well as top and bottom of arms, and vertical faces of head, giving effect of a shallow cross in relief, raised approximately 15 millimetres, on west and east faces.
Small incised cross on west and east faces, between arms. At top and bottom of west cross is a horizontal serified 'foot', 20 millimetres wide. East cross has only a serif, 30 millimetres wide, at top. Western cross is 140 millimetres vertically by 120 millimetres horizontally, the cut being 10 millimetres wide, 5 millimetres deep. Eastern cross is 170 millimetres by 140 millimetres, with cut 20 millimetres wide, 10 millimetres deep.
Northern arm is very stumpy, extending 80 millimetres from shaft, and 190 millimetres deep. These are probably its original measurements. Head extends 0.16 metres above arms. Top surface slopes to east, and may have been broken off. Cross bears evidence of its former use as gatepost - a piece of iron set into west side of shaft approximately 80 millimetres above the ground, and another approximately 150 millimetres up the southern face of the shaft. On the northern side a crevice running up the centre for approximately 120 millimetres from ground has been plugged with cement. This is one of several candidates for forming part of "Yanedonecrosse" which was mentioned in a deed of 1280.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1009184 and 1253492 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Scheduling:
The monument includes a late medieval wayside cross of relatively fine-grained granite, set on rough ground on the east side of a crossroads where minor but ancient roads join the B3212 road from Yelverton to Princetown. The cross, which is Listed Grade II, was erected here in 1974 having been moved from a gateway in a hedge one kilometre to the west, opposite Mid Tors, and bordering the east side of the road leading from Dousland to Walkhampton, where it was in use upside-down as a gatepost, and where it had first been recorded in about 1900. The cross is a single piece of granite, forming a shaft and head, with arms aligned due north-south, though the southern arm is broken off. No socket stone is visible. The total height of the cross is 1.17m. The shaft is very neat and well-dressed, and is more or less rectangular in section, measuring 0.26m by 0.23m. A rebate, about 35mm wide, extends all round the edge of the west and east faces of the shaft as well as the top and bottom of the arms and the vertical faces of the head of the cross. The effect of this has been to create a shallow cross in relief, raised about 15mm, on both the west and east faces. Between the arms there is a small incised cross on both the west and east faces. At the top and bottom of the western incised cross there is a horizontal serifed `foot', 20mm wide. The eastern incised cross only has a serif, 30mm wide, at the top. The western cross measures 140mm vertically by 120mm horizontally, the cut being 10mm wide and 5mm deep. The eastern cross measures 170mm vertically by 140mm horizontally, the cut being a maximum of 20mm wide and 10mm deep. The northern arm of the cross is very stumpy, extending only a maximum of 80mm from the shaft. It is 190mm deep. These are likely to be more or less its original measurements, but if it is broken off then the break is very old. The head of the cross extends a maximum of 0.16m above the arms. Its top surface slopes to the east and may have been broken off. The cross bears evidence of its use as a gatepost - there is a piece of iron set into the west side of the shaft about 80mm above ground surface, and another about 150mm up the southern face of the shaft. Both were probably gate hangings. On the north side of the shaft a crevice running up the centre of the shaft for about 120mm from the ground surface has been plugged with cement. Despite some disturbance, the monument is a fine specimen of a wayside cross. Although probably not in its original position, it is one of several candidates for forming part of `Yanedonecrosse' which was mentioned in a deed of AD 1280.
Map object based on this source.
Listing:
WALKHAMPTON SX 56 SW 17/128 Cross at SX 545694 GV II
Wayside Cross. Medieval, re-sited in 1974. Small granite Latin cross with hollow-chamfered edges and incised cross on its face. Its right-hand arm has been destroyed and it has holes from where it once hung on a gate. Prior to 1974 this cross was built in a wall at nearby Burnham Farm. It is possible however that it has been returned to approximately its original position on Yennadon down as the foundation deed of Buckland Abbey, dated 1280, refers to 'Yanedone Cross as a boundary mark. Source: Dartmoor Crosses: F.H.Starkey
The following item shall be excluded from the list:-
SX 56 NE WALKHAMPTON 18/129 Cross at SX 562694 - II
Wayside Cross. Early C20 restoration re-using older materials. Granite, octagonal shaft with separate chamfered arms, head has been re-set. Set in large square socket stone.
Listing NGR: SX5454769419


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

'GP (Guide Post)' is depicted on the modern mapping at this location. Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV11886List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Walkhampton. Historic Houses Register.
SDV178385Monograph: Crossing, W.. 1902. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Dartmoor. Unknown. 173.
SDV240506Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1979. Supplementary notes on the ancient stone crosses of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 111. A5 Paperback. 143.
SDV249910Report - Assessment: Turton, S. D.. 1993. Archaeological Assessment of SWW Dousland to Rundlestone Water Main. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 93.06. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3.
SDV279478Schedule Document: Ancient Monuments. 1993. Yennadon Cross. The Schedule of Monuments. Unknown.
SDV279490Article in Serial: Burnard, R. + Prowse, A. B.. 1893. Place-names. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 25. 509.
SDV345128Monograph: Starkey, F. H.. 1983. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Dartmoor Crosses and Some Ancient Tracks. Paperback Volume. 46.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1009184 and 1253492.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 13 2016 11:48AM