HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV73886
Name:Churchyard Boundary Walls, Railings, Gate Piers and Gates

Summary

Walls, railings, gate piers and gates to the churchyard of the parish church. Important to the setting of the church and interesting as an example of late Georgian and early Victorian gates.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 836 002
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387120

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BOUNDARY WALL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 1992, Crediton, 156 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV341235.

Gateway and railings to the churchyard of the parish church. Wall to the west 1829, John Berry, mason (DRO), railings missing, iron gate by Jonas Pollard of Crediton, ironmonger. Wall, gate piers and gates to the south 1838, design of gates and ironwork by John and Thomas Pollard, ironmongers of Crediton (DRO). Railings to east and north probably 1830s. Granite and local volcanic trap rubble, cast iron railings and gates. The south wall, fronting East Street, is built of large blocks of granite ashlar with granite coping, railings missing. Tall square section granite piers to a wide central gateway, with smaller pedestrian gates with piers to left and right. The piers have deep moulded plinths and flat-topped granite caps. The centre gateway has an overthrow with wrought iron scrolls and a lamp-holder with a finial. Pair of large gates, each with a dog rail and high rail decorated with quatrefoils and a brace betweeen the dog and high rail. Below the dog rail the verticals have spear finials with thick scrolls. Spear finials above the top rail; urn finials to the standards. Similar design to pedestrian gates. Gateway opposite the west door of similar design, also with a wrought iron overthrow with a lamp-holder. Railings to the east and north sides of the churchyard are on low walls with granite coping with columnar standards with urn finials, the verticals with spear finials. Railings to the south east corner of a slightly different design, probably 1911, when the Buller memorial was erected. Important to the setting of the church and interesting as an example of precisely-dated late Georgian and early Victorian gates.


Gent, T. H., 2007, Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton, 4 (Report - Assessment). SDV339904.

A watching brief was undertaken in 2002 at the junction of Union Road and Church Street at the southwest corner of the graveyard in Crediton. An area approximately 5.5 metres long by 1.85 metres wide by 1.3 metres deep was excavated but no archaeological features had survived extensive earlier disturbance.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339904Report - Assessment: Gent, T. H.. 2007. Review of the Archaeological Evidence for the Location of the Saxon Minster at Crediton. Exeter Archaeology Report. 07.69. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4.
SDV341235List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1992. Crediton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 156.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #101206 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV108083Related to: Cobbled Pathways at Holy Cross Churchyard (Monument)
MDV619Related to: Holy Cross Parish Church, Crediton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4348 - Assessment of a Survey Searching for the Saxon Minster in Crediton

Date Last Edited:Oct 2 2014 4:59PM