HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV73962
Name:Bowhayes Farmhouse, Bowhayes Farm

Summary

Bowhayes Farmhouse built in the late 17th or early 18th century with later extensions and alterations

Location

Grid Reference:ST 108 126
Map Sheet:ST11SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCulmstock
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCULMSTOCK

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (II) 1147639: BOWHAYES FARMHOUSE
  • SHINE: Traditional farm buildings marked on nineteenth/early twentieth century mapping within the curtilege of Listed Building (Grade II) Bowhayes Farmhouse
  • SHINE: Traditional farm buildings marked on nineteenth/early twentieth century mapping within the curtilege of Listed Building (Grade II) Bowhayes Farmhouse

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)
  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Post Medieval to XIX - 1540 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1988, Culmstock (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV37943.

Bowhayes Farmhouse to the southeast of Culmstock. Late 17th or early 18th century, thoroughly refurbished and enlarged in the late 19th century. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings; stone rubble stacks topped with 19th and 20th century brick; thatch roof. Plan and development: 4-room plan house facing north and built across the hillslope. Originally this was a 3-room plan lobby entrance house. The 2 larger heated rooms of this are the 2 right end rooms which have an axial stack between them serving back-to-back fireplaces and front lobby entrance. There was an unheated room to left. In the late 19th century a fourth room was added at the left end an axial stack built serving the third room. At the same time this third room was enlarged at the expense of the adjoining original room. Also a corridor was built along the front of the same room from the lobby to new stairs. 2 storeys. Exterior: regular but not symmetrical 5-window front of 20th century casements with glazing bars and the central ones are blind. The front doorway, the original lobby entrance, is right of centre and contains a 20th century door with contemporary porch. Roof has low half hips each end. Interior: is largely the result of late 19th and 20th century modernisations and little original carpentry is exposed. The right end room shows no carpentry detail and the fireplace here is blocked. The 19th century stair rising to rear of the stack is probably a rebuild of the original. The room right of centre has an axial beam with its soffit cut back. The fireplace here was blocked in the 19th century but the original was temporarally exposed in 1987. It was very large with an oak framed surround and one timber jamb had been removed. The roofspace is inaccessible but the bases of straight principals show over the original house, their scantling large enough to suggest that the roof is carried on late 17th or early 18th century A-frame trusses. Other details: LBS No 95889.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, BH109H (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

No information supplied.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. BH109H.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #101256 ]
SDV37943List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1988. Culmstock. Historic Houses Register. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV104660Part of: Bowhayes Farm (Monument)
MDV49877Related to: Bowhayes Farm, Barn (Monument)
MDV47466Related to: SETTLEMENT in the Parish of Culmstock (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jul 20 2017 2:12PM