HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV74009
Name:Walled Garden at Parke, Bovey Tracey


Walled garden probably dating from the late 1820s. Rectangular enclosure divided by walkways and formerly with a range of glasshouses and sheds in the eastern corner.


Grid Reference:SX 805 786
Map Sheet:SX87NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WALLED GARDEN (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Desmond, S. C., 2007, The Walled Garden at Parke (Report - Survey). SDV339546.

The walled garden at Parke forms part of the remodelled core of the estate dating from Hole's purchase of 1825. Though the garden experienced a steep decline in the late 20th century, including the loss of the original glasshouses, much of the historic layout survives. The first datable evidence for the exitence of the walled garden comes from the 1841 Tithe Map, showing the rectangular enclosure divided by walkways with a cluster of buildings and outworks in the eastern corner. These included a lean-to Vine House, a Melon Pit and cold frames together with small boiler shed for heating the glasshouses 'behind' the east wall and a shed. The Vine House appears to have been of timber construction on a low brick wall with a steepling sloping roof. The Melon Pit was typical of its date, an outsize cold frame partly sunk into the ground and entered via a flight of steps. The interior was typically cramped and functional with a narrow walk at the back serving a heated, brick-fronted raised bed. The Melon Pit may also have served as a Pinery. The glasshouses were demolished in 1986. It is possible that their footings and the sunken area of the Melon Pit may survive. Remains of cast iron pipework from the former boiler house also survives, although the boiler house has now gone. The backshed still stands, a two storey structure of rubble stone under a pitched, corrugated metal roof. The walls are of rubble granite with doorways in the west and east walls. The east wall has been substantially rebuilt at its southern end, on the site of the former glasshouse range. The west, north and part of the east walls are coped with a distinctive sheet metal material. The inside of the north wall and the northern end of the east wall are whitewashed. The southern section of the east wall was also formerly whitewashed, before repair.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339546Report - Survey: Desmond, S. C.. 2007. The Walled Garden at Parke. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV30583Related to: House at Parke, Bovey Tracey (Building)
MDV56665Related to: Park at Parke, Bovey Tracey (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4316 - The Walled Garden at Parke

Date Last Edited:Nov 1 2007 3:46PM