HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV74048
Name:Waterwheel, Riverside Craft Centre, Bovey Tracey


Waterwheel at the base of the tower of a former 19th century stable block. The wheel pumped water up tower to provide a supply to the stables and also to Bridge House. It was ast used for this purpose in 1920 and is now feature on the side of the Craft Centre.


Grid Reference:SX 814 782
Map Sheet:SX87NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBovey Tracey
Ecclesiastical ParishBOVEY TRACEY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WATER WHEEL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1955, Bovey Tracey (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV339685.

Standard Telephone and Cables - (Formerly listed as The Old MIll). Telephone and cable works, formerly the stables of Bridge House, which is now the Riverside Inn. Built 1854. Granite and slatestone rubble with red and yellow brick dressings. Slated roofs with clay ridge-tiles. Built round 4 sides of a courtyard. 2 storeys, except for single-storey north-east range. 8-window south-west front abutting River Bovey, the window at each end set under the gable end of the side-range. Third bay from right develops into a square tower of 2 storeys with a pyramidal slated roof. At its foot is a large iron water-wheel (rebuilt in 1955), the purpose of which was to draw water up the tower to provide a supply for Bridge House. Windows all have jambs and segmental arches of red brick except for the tower bay which has round-headed windows in second storey and is lower stage of the tower. Upper stage (probably rebuilt) is of yellow brick and has 3 C20 windows in each face; an old photograph shows openings without windows. All the other windows have 2-light wood casements of 8 panes per leaf, except for the 2 round-headed windows which have 3 panes per light; the lower of the latter windows has wood boards in its head, while the upper is glazed with radial bars. The front to Fore Street has a wide segmental-headed cart entrance to left, with jambs and arch of red brick. To right, in second storey, are 2 segmental-headed windows; also with jambs and arches of red brick; each has a 2-light wood casement with 8 panes per light.
Interior not inspected. The building is said to have been saved from demolition in the 1950s by public subscription. It forms an important group with Bovey Bridge and Riverside Inn.
Sources: L Tregoning, Bovey Tracey, 1983, p.45. Photographs in National Monuments Record, including 1962 cutting from Country Life. Other details: LBS No 84531.

Devon County Council, 1974, Survey of Watermills in Devon: Gazetteer (Report - Survey). SDV83967.

Mill. 4 storey stone building with slate roof. 16ft diameter undershot waterwheel. Leat still visible.

Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, 1982, Mills Index (Un-published). SDV12998.


Bodman, M., 1998, Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 39 (Report - non-specific). SDV305931.

Other details: No 59.

Bodman, M., 2003, Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon, 289 (Report - Interim). SDV325576.

According to an article in the Western Morning News in 1998 the waterwheel is being repaired and will soon be turning again. Riverside Mill, now home to the Devon Guild of Craftsment, was never actually a mill was built in 1850 by John Divett as stables from Bridge House, now Riverside Inn. The wheel drew water from the river up the tower providing enough pressure to send the water around the building for the horses and over to the main house. Bridge House was the first house in the town to have running water. The wheel was last used for this in 1920.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV12998Un-published: Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings. 1982. Mills Index. Mills Index. A4 Stapled.
SDV305931Report - non-specific: Bodman, M.. 1998. Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 39.
SDV325576Report - Interim: Bodman, M.. 2003. Watermills and Other Water-Powered Sites in Devon. A4 Spiral Bound. 289.
SDV339685List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1955. Bovey Tracey. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV83967Report - Survey: Devon County Council. 1974. Survey of Watermills in Devon: Gazetteer. Devon County Council Report. Unknown. A4 Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV21181Part of: Riverside Mill, Bovey Tracey (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 10 2016 3:19PM