HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV74070
Name:Dung Shed, Week Farm, Milton Abbot


Free standing dung shed in centre of yard, of stone under a fully hipped slated roof, excavated to a depth of c0.85m below yard level. Raised floor area at south end, formerly divided into five stalls, was probably a piggery.


Grid Reference:SX 451 811
Map Sheet:SX48SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMilton Abbot
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMILTON ABBOT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANURE SHED (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1985, Milton Abbot (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV339694.

In the centre of the yard is a dung house with a roof hipped at ends. See Mon ID 16235 for full listing description of farm. Other details: LBS No 92455.

Wade-Martins, S., 2000, The Farmsteads of Devon: A Thematic Survey, 20 (Monograph). SDV351739.

A manure house, built by the Duke of Bedford in the 1850s, survives at Week Farm. These were covered buildings in the farm yard, with wide entrances to allow carts in and out.

Watts, M., 2002, Week Farm, Milton Abbot, Devon, 16-17 (Report - Survey). SDV339695.

Week Farm, formerly part of Duke of Bedford's Devon estate, remodelled in early 1840s. Farm buildings, of stone and slate, form 3 ranges, west, north and east which, with farmhouse to the south, define an almost square yard in which there are 2 further buildings. The position of the roofed dung shed (M) in the middle of the farmyard, is that which would have been occupied by the midden or dung heap in a less formal arrangement. There is so specific mention of this building in the contemporary accounts and reports and it may not, therefore, be a first-phase structure. The construction of the roof trusses is also different to that used elsewhere on the farm being all of timber with king posts and angled struts. However, it was probably built not much later than the other buildings. Free standing 4-bay building under a fully hipped roof, excavated to a depth of about 0.85m below yard level. The southern bay has a raised floor area with an inserted low wall dividing it off from the dung pit and was formerly divided into 5 stalls. It is likely that these were for pigs as a 5-bay piggery is mentioned in the 1911 sale accounts. 2 doorways on south side with slit openings between. 2 doorways with granite sills on west side with slit openings between. Small WC inserted on west side, apparently during Second World War. North east and north west corners are deeply chamfered each with a doorway, that to the northwest being wider, for carts, with a ramp down towards the centre of the dung pit. North wall has 2 slit openings. Off centre doorway with 2 slit openings either side on east side. See report for full details. Other details: Plate XVI.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339694List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1985. Milton Abbot. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV339695Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2002. Week Farm, Milton Abbot, Devon. 122/2002. A4 Stapled + Digital. 16-17.
SDV351739Monograph: Wade-Martins, S.. 2000. The Farmsteads of Devon: A Thematic Survey. A4 Grip Bound + Digital. 20.

Associated Monuments

MDV16235Part of: Week Farm, Milton Abbot (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4328 - Week Farm, Milton Abbot

Date Last Edited:Apr 8 2015 11:58AM