HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV74076
Name:Sheep shed, Week Farm, Milton Abbot


Open fronted sheep shed, forming part of group of outbuildings to north of main complex at Week Farm. Has a tile dated 1895 in the gable end.


Grid Reference:SX 451 811
Map Sheet:SX48SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMilton Abbot
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMILTON ABBOT

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • ANIMAL SHED (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Watts, M., 2002, Week Farm, Milton Abbot, Devon, 22 (Report - Survey). SDV339695.

To the north of the main farm buildings at Week there are the remains of stone outbuildings. The most southerly of these is shown on the Tithe Map but is now only represented by a stone wall that forms part of a hedge bank. The back (north) wall of the building further north makes use of a Devon bank, although its roof has collapsed. At extension to the west has a rubble stone rear wall and gable end, with a tile dated 1895 in a small brick-trimmed opening, and corrugated iron roof. It is open fronted and still in use as an implement shed.

Watts, M., 2003, Week Farm, Milton Abbot Devon. 1895 Outbuilding. Description and Historical Notes (Report - Survey). SDV340050.

Two adjoining buildings situated to the north of the main farm group at Week post-date the Tithe Map of c1839 and the main rebuilding phase of Week Farm, being shown as part of a larger group on the 1906 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. The surviving structures comprise a building that fronted the west side of the farm track to the north of the farm, with an adjoining single storey range with an open front facing south west. In the north west gable of this building is a tile bearing the date 1895. This latter building is an open-fronted shed with rubble stone rear and end walls with brick quoins to the south west end of the gable wall. The building is divided into 5 bays and there were formerly 5 columns along the front of the shed. However, some of the granite padstones which supported them survive and there are also remains of dressed granite curb stones along the front of the building. Large areas of the floor still retain the original cobble surface. A feed trough of slate slabs runs along the rear wall. The roof is close boarded, a feature recorded elsewhere in farm buildings on the Duke of Bedford's Tavistock estate. Roof clad with corrugated iron sheets, possibly the original roofing material.
This building appears to represent the 'new Sheep's House with galvanised roof' mentioned in sales particulars of 1911. The Tavistock Estate accounts include entries for the construction of a new sheep shed at Week Farm in 1895 which was possibly to provide winter shelter for ewes. This structure is a significant survival. While it was the last agricultural building to be built at Week Farm, it was constructed to a high standard and finish, as was usual with Bedford Estate buildings. In its function and form it represents an important later addition to the mid 19th century model farm complex.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339695Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2002. Week Farm, Milton Abbot, Devon. 122/2002. A4 Stapled + Digital. 22.
SDV340050Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2003. Week Farm, Milton Abbot Devon. 1895 Outbuilding. Description and Historical Notes. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV16235Part of: Week Farm, Milton Abbot (Building)
MDV74219Related to: Cart shed, Week Farm, Milton Abbot (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4328 - Week Farm, Milton Abbot
  • EDV4362 - Survey of Outbuilding at Week Farm, Milton Abbot

Date Last Edited:Jan 10 2008 11:05AM