HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74161
Name:Harleston Farm, East Allington

Summary

Comparison between historic and modern mapping shows Harleston Farm to have been enlarged in the later 19th century with the addition of a new house and other farm buildings. Several farm buildings have subsequently been demolished in the 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 794 450
Map Sheet:SX74NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishEast Allington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST ALLINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Unknown date)

Full description

Unknown, 1840, East Allington (Cartographic). SDV339934.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Site of Harleston Farm marked as 'Manor House (Site of)' on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map. Comprises what appears to be a threshing barn with round house at southern end of yard with a pond on the east side, a house and garden on the west side, with other farm buildings and a well to the north west and an inverted 'U' shaped range of buildings on the north east. Comparison with the 1840 Tithe Map shows the house together with several of the farm buildings and the round house to have been built or added in the second half of the 19th century. The layout between the 1880s-1890s and 1904-1906 Ordnance Survey maps remains unchanged but comparison with modern mapping shows the several buildings have been demolished while the structure(s) on the west side of the U shaped yard have been enlarged. This area is marked as House (homestead) on the Tithe Map Apportionment (see tracing and notes in parish file).


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 314 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Harleston is recorded as 'Harliston' in 1252.


Ordnance Survey, 2007, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV337643.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 314.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337643Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2007. MasterMap. MasterMap. Digital.
SDV339934Cartographic: Unknown. 1840. East Allington. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).

Associated Monuments

MDV74162Parent of: Harleston House, East Allington (Building)
MDV74163Parent of: Well at Harleston, East Allington (Monument)
MDV7222Related to: Harleston Manor, East Allington (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 14 2007 12:08PM