HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74400
Name:The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton

Summary

Small, two-storey buiilding at the rear of 4 Barrington Street, probably late 18th or early 19th century. In use as a smithy from circa 1838 until the late 1920s.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 957 126
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (XVIII to XX - 1701 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'Smithy' shown as rectangular building to rear of 4 Barrington Street.


Watts, M., 2008, The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton (Report - Survey). SDV340605.

Small, two storey building at the rear of 4 Barrington Street. The building, which probably dates from the late 18th or early 19th century appears to have been purpose-built for light industrial use. It was in use as a smithy by around 1838 and is marked as such on the 1888 1:500 Ordnance Survey town plan of Tiverton. It continued in use as a smithy until the late 1920s. It is thought that the forge may also have been used as a cooperage until the end of the first world war. A collection of cooper's tools as well as a number of cask hoops and other related artefacts were found in the building during clearance work.
The building is orientated north-south. It faces a small yard on its east side to the rear of the house, and is hemmed in by buildings at both its north and south ends. Immediately to the west is a garden, the level of which is above that of the ground floor of the forge, so that the west wall acts in part as a retaining wall. It is a two storey, three bay structure of stone rubble and brick with a gabled roof clad with double roman tiles. The remains of two flues from forge hearths survive and there is possible evidence that the building was once divided into two working parts. A tiny porcelain doll was found embedded in the mortar of the brockwork of the flue in the south west corner. See report for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340605Report - Survey: Watts, M.. 2008. The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton. 165/2008. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV74401Related to: 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton (Building)

Associated Finds

  • FDV1238 - DOLL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV4386 - Survey of The Old Forge, 4 Barrington Street, Tiverton

Date Last Edited:Jun 13 2012 2:37PM