HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV74409
Name:Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule


The earliest reference to Tackbear is in the Domesday Survey of 1086. it is frequently mentioned in documents of the 14th century onwards. The Tithe Map shows the farm and buildings as broadly similar to those surviving today.


Grid Reference:SS 257 018
Map Sheet:SS20SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBridgerule
Ecclesiastical ParishBRIDGERULE WEST

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Unknown date)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Tackbear Remains of a Manor house' shown on the 1880s-1890s 25 inch OrdnanceSurvey map, comprising the main house on the east side of a courtyard with farm buildings to the west and around another yard to the north including a barn with a horsewheel house.

Context One Archaeological Services, 2008, Redundant Barns, Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule, Devon (Report - Survey). SDV340622.

The earliest reference to Tackbear is as 'Tacabere' in the Domesday Survey, 1086. The manor and hamlet of Tackbear are mentioned in numerous documents from the 14th century onwards, the name being variously spelt, and it is, therefore, reasonable to assume that there was a medieval predecessor to the current manor house. The manor was granted to the Gilbert family by Elizabeth I and the current manor house is believed to have been built by Richard Gilbert in the late 16th century. The manor descended through the Gilbert line until 1751 and thence through the female line, eventually being inherited by Colonel Harward JP, a descendant of Grace Gilbert. The manor passed in turn to his daughter in the mid 19th century and was subsequently sold to the Glubb family who let the farm. The earliest reliable map of the estate is the Tithe Map of 1844 which shows the buildings as broadly similar to those surviving today, with the barns grouped to the north and west of the house. The farm is recorded as 249 acres as it is on the census returns from 1841-1901. Farm buildings extensively restored by Glubb in 1905. A plaque on one of the barns reads 'ADC C GLUBB 1905'. Some of the granite features may be resued material from the south east wing of the manor house which was demolished in 1858.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV340622Report - Survey: Context One Archaeological Services. 2008. Redundant Barns, Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule, Devon. Context One Archaeological Services Report. COAS/SBR/07/TBD. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV73615Parent of: Barn at Tackbeare Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV73619Parent of: Calf house at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV6Parent of: Cross at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV74411Parent of: Pump at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV73618Parent of: Shippon at Tackbeare Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV74410Parent of: Site of Horse Engine House, Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule (Monument)
MDV7122Parent of: Tackbear Manor House, Bridgerule (Building)
MDV129562Related to: Earthworks east of Gilberts Cottage, Bridgerule (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4389 - Survey and watching brief at Tackbear Manor, Bridgerule

Date Last Edited:Dec 18 2020 2:11PM