HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74714
Name:8 Duke Street in The Butterwalk, Dartmouth

Summary

One of a row of 17th century merchants' houses, now a shop with accommodation above. Built end onto the street, with a jettied front over the Butterwalk of timber-framing with slate-hung upper floors.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 877 514
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (I): 387231

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XX - 1601 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of Environment, 1972, Dartmouth, 17-18 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV155627.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.


English Heritage, 2013, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV350785.

One of a row of merchants' houses, now a shop and museum with accommodation above. The row is dated 1635 and 1640, various minor later alterations and a major renovation programme in the 1950s after severe bomb blast damage in 1943; David Nye and Partners of Westminster, London (architect), PW Wilkins and Sons Ltd. Of Torquay (builders). Mixed construction; but unlike the other Butterwalk houses this one is mostly timber-framed but does have some stone rubble walling at ground-floor level; front is an ornate display of timber-framing with slate-hung upper floors, and the walk carried on granite piers; no stacks; slate roof. Plan: This, the centre unit of the original row, is smaller than its contemporary neighbours. Built end onto the street, one room wide and one room deep with no stack. The first-floor room is now part of Dartmouth Museum with No.6 but a blocked doorway in the left wall suggests that the upper floors were originally part of No.10. Early documents mention a passage through the middle of the Butterwalk wide enough for a carriage to a shared back yard with a crane, brewhouse and other communal facilities. Exterior: 3 storeys and attic; one-window range. Ornate jettied timber-framed front forming part of a unified front comprising Nos 6-12 (even), the houses of the Dartmouth Butterwalk. The first floor oversails the Butterwalk and is supported on a carved bressummer on an arcade of granite piers with moulded capitals under blocks carved with geometric and heraldic motifs. Recessed shop front is mid 20th century. First floor of exposed timber-framing. Centre rebuilt with tripartite sash window, centre 12-pane sash. Largely original moulded small-panel framing each side, the faces of the original timbers carved with strapwork patterns and guilloche. End posts (on party walls) are carved as pairs of Ionic pilasters on pedestals under carved brackets supporting the second-floor jetty which has carved fascia. Slate-hung above. Second floor has a central 12-pane sash. Attic under gable is jettied, the bressummer carved with a kind of egg-and-dart. Gable has a horizontal-sliding 12 pane sash. Gabled rear elevation is a plastered timber-frame and contains some original 17th century oak mullioned windows. Interior: Well preserved but few original features are exposed. There is a moulded timber frame to a blocked doorway through to No.10 and, at ground floor level, a moulded axial beam. The stone crosswall at ground-floor level has no recognisable function, possibly it was associated with strengthening masonry put into the row in 1657. Other 17th century features are probably hidden. Upper floors and roof not inspected. History: This house forms a part of the Dartmouth Butterwalk, which is one of the finest rows of merchants' houses dating from the first half of the 17th century anywhere in England. The Butterwalk was built on reclaimed land as part of the same scheme which created the New Quay. The western half was leased to William Gurney in 1628, the eastern half was leased to Mark Hawkings. Both began to build, but in 1635 William Gurney sold his part to Hawkings who completed the row by 1640 at a cost of nearly £2500. The row originally continued one house further east; the Butterwalk arcade was of 13 granite piers and is now of 11. Backed onto river when originally built. (Freeman, Ray: Dartmouth and its Neighbours: Phillimore: 1990-: p80-83; Devon Buildings: Laithwaite, Michael: Town Houses up to 1660: Devon Books: 1990-: p113-5).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV155627List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1972. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 17-18.
SDV350785National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2013. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #101939 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV24855Part of: The Butterwalk, 6 to 12 Duke Street, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV8544Related to: 10 The Butterwalk, Duke Street, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV8545Related to: 12 Duke Street, The Butterwalk, Dartmouth (Building)
MDV74715Related to: 6 Duke Street in The Butterwalk, Dartmouth (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 11 2013 9:42AM